1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A question about Clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bilchak, Mar 20, 2001.

1. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

We have no place in town that accepts grass/shrub clippings or leaves on a load by load basis.

I probably would have to sign up for a trash service that runs about a 100 dollars a month to disspose of this stuff if I can't find a farmer or a farm market that would accept them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm concerned about having a year-round trash service, when I really only need to get rid of lots of stuff during spring clean ups and when I trim shrubs.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hey call up a top soil company,i dump mine at 1 in my area and they mix it in with dirt then let it decompose for awhile then make top soil out of it. guy doesn't even charge but i give him all the dirt work i get.
  3. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

The top soil place is about 20 miles away, but I did
    find a compost place a bit closer. I'm almost sure they will take them. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Shouldn't have any grass clippings. As for leaves find someone with a garden, most will gladly take all you can bring. Everything else burn in your back yard (if legal) and charge a dump fee for your troubles.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Have you thought about mulching? I don't even mulch and I haven't picked up grass for many years. Double blades do wonders. :)

I realize some of your customers might cry to get the clippings picked up, but if you educate them on the value of leaving them, they might change too. I trained all mine. :)
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Mulch the grass and leaves.Most have to be convinced
    but it really is the simple solution.
    For sticks and shrubbery,you could get a chipper.
    In your situation it would pay off.