A question about questions to ask clients

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by keys861, Mar 25, 2014.

1. keys861

keys861 LawnSite Member

Since I'm just starting out this year, I was curious if you all asked personal questions of clients? Such as birthdays, anniversaries important dates for them.
    Does anyone send out birthday/anniversary cards to clients?
    It seems a little silly to me, but a chimney sweep friend of mine sends his cards out and he is convinced it gets him referrals and repeat business.
    Any thoughts?

2. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I usually don't ask but in our regular conversation it comes up from time to time and I make notes about birthdays and things. I find it useful for more than just sending cards; it helps me plan ahead a bit.
    Knowing a birthday is coming up can help you avoid showng up a little late one day and the client is setting up tables and games in the yard.

3. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually don't ask personal questions of clients, but sometimes these things come up in normal conversation. I take an interest in my clients to a point, but like to keep it professional and not appear to pry.

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I consider asking any personal questions of my customers unnecessary and unprofessional.
    Information of a personal nature is generally private and should remain as such.
    easy-lift guy

5. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Bingo, great advice. There is no reason to be concerned about clients birthdays and anniversaries.

6. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Nothing personal about clients. I teach my guys to not even look at customer if they see them in a window while they are in their house and they are outside cutting or what ever and feel they have to wave "hi". Outside is a different story wave to customer entering their house and speak only when spoken to. Some people like their lives private. If THEY want to talk that's a different story. Leave the ball in their court. I do send out holiday cards. HOLIDAY not Christmas or other specific religious holidays. When I was first in business and my kids were young I would go to my main neighborhoods with my kids for Halloween. My thought was that they see I have kids they would have a more positive image of me and maybe give a holiday bonus or even just pay their bill on time. Just my .02 cents.

7. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Wowza. I talk to almost all of my people on a personal level. I'm not in any hurry, though.

8. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I do as well only if they want to though. Some don't...do you ask your customers what their birthdays are, religious beliefs etc. not disagreeing with you at all just wondering. I am not saying I am right either and always take others opinion into consideration. Also geographics plays a part. People in the South and people in the North are sometimes different. Hope I didn't come off as too impersonal I actually am:waving:

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I don't talk religion or politics unless they bring it up. I don't ask people their birthday until after they're customers for a while.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Every Spring I remind my customers that if they plan on entertaining guests/family/etc and would want their lawn 'showcased' to let me know as far in advance as they can.

Showcasing is the same as any mowing, but at an optimal striping direction that is most attractive to incoming guests.

I've only had a few takers (wedding reception, Easter Dinner, out-of-town guests, etc...) over the years, but at least they know they have the option should they choose to contact me with a target date. Knowing the date in advance allows me to plan and not use that particular angle until the target mow.