A question for low-ballers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluesteel, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Here’s a question for everyone tempted to go low. I went shopping for new accounts last weekend. Now I have four new (profitable) weekly customers, probably more coming. Two in particular were $40 lawns. When I left an estimate, I saw 2 other bids in one mailbox, and 4 in the other. Of course I looked at them, NONE of them were over $25, some were $20!

My flyer is nothing special. I tell them all my services, that I work alone, and that I’m insured. I asked these two new customers (who are now tickled to death with my work) why they called me. So why do you think these customers would choose a $40 price over a $25 estimate when they don’t know any of the bidders from Adam?

Surely you have read about the sweet accounts some of the LCO’s have here. How do you think they get them? If you start off really low, what impression does that give your prospective customers? When a home-owner sees four $25 bids, what makes you stand out? If you get a low-ball job, who really is the winner?

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Roger that.

I just had a lady tell me this evening "the price doesn't really matter to me if you are dependable.......plus you are a nice." That's a $40 job that will take 25 min. I'll take those all day long. I am resigned to working for what I want to be paid. I put a lot into my "image" and my "satisfaction guarnteed" stance. I will not short change myself

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Just call it like you see it....Charge a fair price and you cant go wrong...:D

4. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I don't want to bust your bubble, but if I catch you reading or removing anything from my mail box, well you get the idea! Keep it legal.

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no winner. You don't earn what you want, then you dread doing the work which would undoubtedly effect quality = an unhappy client. Plus, you have lowered your personal standard and potentially just lowered the "going rate" for a cut in that area. I'm new at this, but a quick learner. I feel that I have garnered a lot of knowledge from the wisdom of others on this site and will continue to learn. That's what this is all about. We can make the entire complexion of the business better for all of us.

6. Thomas Payne said, “What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.”

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard 3 times in 2 days about wanting someone reliable now. Seems like the others they have, have not been eager to work in the heat.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with this, - especially after you get some clientele built up. Sometimes, as a matter of fact, if you're known to be "not so cheap", that can actually help your reputation. People wonder about the confidence, and say to themselves, "He MUST be good to charge rates like that."
    This is the clientele I cater to. Not the "priceshoppers", but the peopoe who just know they want it done right, and understand, that doing that might be a little more than Joe Shmoe down the street. I do have to say, though, with all do respect, if you are looking in other peoples' mailboxes, you are WAY out of line. It doesn't matter if it's one of YOUR flyers you happen to see in there. Once it's in their box, it is their property, and your OR I, have no business opening or reading anything in there, no matter WHAT it is, even if it IS just a lawn service flyer. This is a felony. (Of course, it's against the law to even put anything IN the mailboxes to begin with). It takes aLOT of nerve to read something in someone elses mailbox. It's not like you're picking it up out of their bushes during a cleanup, or anything.... Just my 2 cents. I'll step down off my soapbox, now.:nono:

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I posted one very similiar. People get tired of unreliability and lack of professionalism.

10. danny van hoozer

danny van hoozer LawnSite Member

BOYS YOU BETTER WATCHOUT PUTTING FLYERS OR ANY THING ELSE IN A MAILBOX. I USED TO PUT ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS INVOICES IN HIS MAILBOX AFTER I MOWED FOR THE DAY. ONE DAY I GOT A REAL NASTY LETTER FROM THE POSTMASTER STATING THAT THAT MAILBOX WAS UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE PROPERTY!!!. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT AT THE TIME. THE LETTER WENT ON TO SAY THAT I OWED THE POSTAL SERVICE 47 CENTS FOR THE MAILING OF THAT DOCUMENT AND IF IT HAPPENED AGAIN LEGAL ACTION WOULD TAKEN. SO NOW I HAVE TO MAIL MY INVOICES TO MY CUSTOMER. I KNOW A PERSON THAT USED TO BE A RURAL MAIL CARRIER AND TOLD HER WHAT HAD TAKEN PLACE AND SHE SAID THAT THEY WERE TOLD TO INFORM THEIR SUPERVISOR IF THEY SEEN ANYTHING WITHOUT A POSTAGE STAMP ON IT IN THE MAILBOX IN BRING IT IN TO THE OFFICE AND IT WOULD BE DELT WITH. I GUESS JUST PUTTING SOMETHING IN THE MAILBOX LIKE THAT IS NO BIG DEAL BUT IT IS TO THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE. THE POSTMASTER SAID YOU CAN THANK 9-11 FOR THE BIG CHANGE IN POLICY. PLUS THEY SEE AS LOST REVENUE.