A question for my fellow "Newbies"!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by buckwheat40, Mar 27, 2007.

1. buckwheat40

buckwheat40 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Are any of you guys getting calls yet, or am I the only one waiting for the phone to ring. I mean I've passed out fliers, business cards, sent letters, made phone calls, and almost every morning I leave out with my truck and trailer loaded, and I'm still not that busy yet. I've done a few lawns so far, a couple of flower beds and one aeration and re-seed. But I'm ready to do some serious cuttin! How's it goin' with you all?

2. ALL-American

ALL-American LawnSite Member
    from Houston

slow here too, passed out about 3000, got about 4 calls. From what I read that seems to be the norm. Getting ready to start another round of flyers. First year in business I would be happy with 20 accounts. 5 down 15 more to go.

3. buckwheat40

from SC

All-American, are you full time or part?

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sorry to tell you that I placed 1 ad in the newspaper and I'm turning away work.... I avgerage 3 calls a day...

5. buckwheat40

from SC

Hey man I'm glad to hear you're busy; I guess I'll be placing an ad in the paper next week!

6. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i posted on craigslist and i'm averaging about 2 calls a day...and it was free

7. Lawn Works

Lawn Works LawnSite Member

Where u at in SC?

8. Lawn Works

Lawn Works LawnSite Member

DO your Pre-M. Sell up the aeration, fert and pre-M #2. Talk mole crik ,Etc. Look for un-kept lawns and put a magnet card on the mailbox. Look for homes for sale and court the real estate agent. LOTS to do.

9. ALL-American

ALL-American LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Part time. I only work 9 days a month at my other job which leaves lots of time for "flyers" lol

10. buckwheat40

from SC

L.W. I've done everything you mentioned except the magnet card on the mailbox. I'm in "upstate" SC, where the majority of grass is bermuda, and it's just starting to 'green-up". Hopefully it'll pick-up soon!, I'm gettin' restless! 'Bout to drive my wife crazy!