1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Question For The Florida LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Oct 13, 2006.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know you guys go to a bi-weekly mowing schedule in the winter.

But I was wondering today when you do scale back, do you mow 1/2 one week and the other 1/2 of your customers the next week or do you mow everyone one week and take the following one off? And if ya do it one way or the other, what's your reasoning?

Thanks...just curious.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was mowing full time, I split them, so I was working everyweek. It made it so I was done early everyday. I cant stand sitting around doing nothing. Plus it depends how cold the winters are. St.Augestein will still grow as long as its getting watered. Bahia pretty much hybernates. Ive had yards where all I did was edge and blow off.

Hope this helps
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We want the workers to come every day so we spread them out and usually finish early. Don't want guys with time off to hunt for work.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut em kinda in 1/2

Our "normal" M-T-W one week

n than W-Th-Fi the next ..... during Nov-Dec we do alot of clean up ...final hedgin, mulch on the off days ... Jan is nothing on off days ... Feb alot of equip, truck , trailer, shop clean n prep n than in March the off days are again for mulch, bed prep & flowers .....lite landscape installs
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Residentials one week, large lots/commercials next week.
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I work every other week, I use the off weeks for installations , restoring equipment etc.
  7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Keep the week/route intact.
    Push hard for additional work for the off week. It's nice to be able to take on multi day jobs without having to juggle mowing.
    When I go "to work" I'd like to have a full day lined up.
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i start off splitting my route in half, then i see where the holidays fall and sink everybody up so am off for that week. to be honest i really don't do the every other week thing. if you look at the calender sometimes you would cut some people three time a month, which is not going to happen , i make a point to make sure all customers know i only cut twice a month ,so sometimes this give me two weeks off in a row.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow one week and do trims, installations, mulching, plug work or sod, or........goof-off (but don't tell my wife!). The very first week off, which is coming up in a little over 2 weeks, I plan on doiing "nothing".