A Question for the service tech's here>>>

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 9, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I'm wondering what some of your thoughts are..When doing service work/start ups, how often do check your connections before you bury...The reason I ask is that today I was working on a system(old) with great water pressure.....I come across a pgp that needs replacing..I proceed to make my connections,attach a new pgp, and almost bury..

When I think to myself"You dummy you don't know if the connection in the ground was up to snuff."

Well I ALMOST made a super PUP mistake right there...So I tell the other tech"flip on my zone"

He does and the SOB leaked @ the brass saddle....So I cut my connections and proceeded to install a new 1 inch in line...And double check my work to see if I had any bad connections..I didn't...

So my question to you PRO DOGGIES, is obliviously always check system if they are old saddles/fittings..But do you ever new connections less than 10 years or even 5 years old before you bury?

Sometimes I do and sometimes when @ any time there is even a possibility of a failed connection....

So shed some light on this subject pro DOGGIES!

Thanks in adv

ED

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

But do you ever *CHECK* new connections less than 10 years or even 5 years old before you bury?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It kind of depends on the install and your experience with it. Saddle tees are increasingly rare - Blazing Saddles excepted.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

what is a saddle T?
    A inline i assume...BarbXBrarbX 1/2 female fitting?

I mean yhea......I trust what i install into the ground....but i have to get into a better habbit of not trusting Other connections i did not make i suppose

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You described a saddle tee - if you truly lack a command of irrigation terminology, then better to slow it way down, and use plain language, if you're hoping for responses.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

LOL..

apple>oranges brotha...Different strokes for different folks...I guarntee you that no saddle T's exist in New England......but we do have brass saddles....

your point?

I have no clue...
    I suggest you turn the AC in your office up and relax big doggie..

7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The rule at my company is that if you are replacing a head on a saddle or nylon fitting you replace the fitting as well.

Actually. The rule is that we need to put it on funny pipe (hehe). So if the old head is sitting on a 1x1/2 CRE with just a nipple I'll allow them to skip replacing the fitting but remove the nipple and put a 3/8x1/2 CME (correct name for a half inch funny pipe fitting?) on it to funny pipe.

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

By and large, I don't find many saddles in the ground, although I know that I'm using lots more for installs now that labour is so overpriced and hard to find. Anything to speed a job up.

How often do I look at the connection? Only when the ground indicates that there has been some leakage. I can tell by the texture and firmness of the ground directly by the head whether or not the connection has been leaking.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

We also put all of our broken heads on funny pipe 90% of the time as well.

takes longer to install but worth it in the long run..especially along a driveway/roadside...

and we call the 1/2 X3X8 barb fitting a funny L Up here...

In Michigan do you use PVC or Poly??

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

EDIT: Also my company re-uses fittings we pull out of the ground...I have spent hours cleaning fittings ect..During this fix I used an old fitting.GD thing broke on me, with a tiny pin hole in the fitting just pissing through...I was BS...Put in an other one which cost time/materials..

I will never re-use a fitting ever again....Sorry about the rant