A Question for you

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HuskerPower, Apr 2, 2007.

1. HuskerPower

HuskerPower LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Hey I was wondering if any of you bag, or do most of you mulch or just mow?
    Thanks in advance, any advantages or disadvantages to any of these would be appreciated. B

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

side d/c 99% of the time. Will bag for the right amount of $$

Cheers
    Jeff

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I mulch when I am using the push mower. I side discharge with the Z. The bi weeklies don't like the side discharge very much sometimes, but hey, you get what you pay for. You couldn't even tell that I side discharge on my weekly properties. I would bag for the right amount of money. I will pretty much do whatever a client asks for as long as the price is right...

4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

side dischard exclusively. If the lawn is mowed when it should be, you don't need to bag. Down side is if you get behind due to weather (or other reasons), you might have to double cut to make it look good.

I am a firm believer that the clipping do the lawn good.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'll mulch until it starts limiting speed.
    Then go to S/D.
    As soon as things slow back down, mulch plate goes back on. It's nice to not have to worry about where the clippings are blowing into.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What we do in the southwest probably has nothing to do with what can be done with your kind of grasses. We have a dry climate so we can mulch with plate over the outlet all year long. We even mulch our rye grass in the winter and spring.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, i dont even offer bagging. its not worth the time and i run a full schedual. i dont think you ever get enough for it. im guessing montana has very think grass at the height of the growing season like us. if so, you really cant mulch unless your cutting 2 or 3 times a week, they just arent made to "mulch" that much grass. they are made for hotter dryer areas like TX and FL. id stay clear of bagging. i only have one for fall cleanups

8. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

discharge unless told difer

9. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

We bag everything on residential & 60% on commercial.

10. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a line item on my price list for bagged clippings. The prices starts at an additional15$ for small garden home properties and works all the way up to an additional $400 for larger properties with seasonal contracts.