A question of salaries

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Without A Drought, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

ok guys, i know it's not really appropriate to talk salaries in the open forum, but i'm having a hard time figuring out a baseline. I've been approached by my boss to step into a position of service manager. this will be a new position for the company. i would be moving from a position of "lead" tech to this new one. it would entail everything a tech does normally, and also handle the larger revamps that are too small for the full install crew, hiring/ firing other techs (4-5), maintaining inventory for 3 crews plus my truck, handling any last minute, gotta have the appt. calls, and everything else that comes up. basically, the boss wants to focus his time more on generating new work, so he wants me to handle everything related to servicing existing customers and systems.

most of this work i do now, with the owners oversight. now i would be more autonomous (and more accountable)

a little background. i've had my DEP license for 4 years (which carries more weight in NJ than other states that don't license), about 12 years experience in the field. 3 years with this company. company maintains about 2,000 systems in new jersey, most are local. we have been in business about 20 years, and we lean more to the higher end work than the lower. the other techs in the company have longer time with him, but less overall experience, and IMO, are not as well suited for job (i don't think any of them would even want it)

so my question is this, what is a reasonable weekly/annual salary amount to negotiate for? i was thinking $1500/week, which works out to roughly 60K/year. no benes, 10 days paid, company vehicle (I live very close to the shop).

any ideas? thanks for your help.

pg

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

you can probably do better than that in your area... I know of a guy up there w/ much less experience and around the same pay.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

65K w benefits, company truck & piece of the action works for me; you are basically
    taking over the biz..that's what I paid myself when owning mine.

4. Without A Drought

thanks, that's why i wanted to ask, i thought i was gonna be on the high side. i guess i'll have to think some more

pg

5. Mike Leary

[QUOTE=Without A Drought;2228547

Now we'll see what your boss is made out of.

6. Without A Drought

yeah. hope so. unfortunately, it looks to be a lean year. last year was a little slow, this year looks slower. considering last year's percentages, i have a real good bargaining point, so keep you're fingers crossed.

pg

7. Mike Leary

Someone lets you look at the (real) books? :laugh:

8. Without A Drought

Real books, less the cash factor, yes. it's all part of our CIA program.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

What would that position be paid in NC ??

10. Mike Leary

Last I heard, about $5.00 hr.