A question on speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fire/Grass, May 30, 2004.

1. Fire/Grass

Fire/Grass LawnSite Member

With a bread and butter lot around here of about 20,000sqft. Landscaping around the home itself, a few trees spread throughout the back yard. All level or minor grade. How much quicker is a ZTR vs a W/B of equal size. I mow these currently with a 38" John Deere rider. Taking me about 25 minutes just to cut grass. Not including any trimming or blowing. If you post a response, please let me know what size and what type mower your using.

Thanks

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

as a rule walk behinds are slower than riders a walkbehind wil travel 6-8 mph some riders can go 15mph
    you have to find your happy median now go demo demo demo

3. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

I gather you are using a riding tractor?

A 36 walk behind will kill a 38 riding tractor.

A 48 inch Z will get you done by lunch what is taking you all day right now.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel the speed of the Z would be faster, yet the mobility of the walk behind would equal out the speed on the Z in a lawn that you describe.

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i demoed a lazer z 60 " efi 28 horse and then demoed the turf tracer 60" 23 horse ecs and went with the wb b/c of mobility. i can go places with the wb that the rider can not

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've got riders and w/b's. I can put a Z more places than a w/b and do it faster. Its all about experience.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

i find for the most part my 61 ztr is just as mobile as a 48 inch wb for instance one of the properties i do has a ckicken cage next to a pole barn with about almost 7 feet beweteen it where it was a pain to get a walk behind into and turn around but the ztr could do it with room to spare

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I clock in and out times on every stop we make. The other day after getting my new 48" Stander, I did this one 11K sqft gas station in 8.5 minutes , mow only, with limited obstacles.Mostly open mowing.Mybrother had the trimming and blowing done about 3 minutes after I finished. Used to take over15 mins with a WB.......The whole stop is now down to 12-13 minutes tailgate to tailgate.Big difference from 22-24 minutes

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Normally I wouldn't agree. But the other day while I was mowing an account, I noticed a guy (WB) in an adjacent property mowing around a line of trees. I had the same row of trees that I was doing with my Z farther down. We were both doing the same thing, roughing them out, one at a time and I could do about 2 or three for everyone that he was doing. I use my forearm to fend off the branches...and I still got in closer than he did.

My vote...for the Z!