A question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DPruett2333, Oct 30, 2003.

1. DPruett2333

DPruett2333 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here! My grandpa told me that they don't make striping kits for Walker mowers. I've searched a little bit on the internet, but haven't found any. I was going to check here and see if anyone knows if they do or not...

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Try making your own using chains. Do a search of the site and you will find some homemade versions that may work.

3. DPruett2333

"Try making your own using chains. Do a search of the site and you will find some homemade versions that may work."

Thanks for the reply. He has a Walker with 3 decks, but he said that another guy took away 3 of his lawns last year, just because he had a striping kit. I was wondering why they don't make it for the Walkers?

4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a diagram of a "homemade chain striping kit". Its pretty simple to make too.

build a stripe kit.jpg

5. DPruett2333

And does the "chain" method make a nice stripe? It seems like if wouldn't make as good of a stripe as a rubber strip, roller, etc...

6. The Lawn Boy Pro

The heavier the chain gauage, the better it actually pulls grass over. Chains are like "combing" grass, while a roller just flattens it to some degree in a specific direction. I have no tried a flap yet, but I guess It would be similiar to chains.

7. DPruett2333

Ahh...ok

Thanks for the help bro...

I still don't understand why they don't make them for Walkers...

8. The Lawn Boy Pro

That pic thats under my user name (my Advatar) was done with a homeade chain striping kit.

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

Probably becasue they think with the GHS, the vacuum power would already be pulling the grass over, thereby eliminating the need of a aid for lawn striping.

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

you can also run a metal rod through the second to last link in the chain to keep the chains from "Dancing".