A Quiz for You.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Mar 5, 2005.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I certainly am not claiming to be the smartest person in lawncare by putting this out and as a disclamer I got most of these questions from a book which at this point I will not name so to not give the answers away.

The quiz isn't for money or fame, just something to get your mind on the upcoming season.

1.Who was the original owner of this site? A bonus is what was the progression of names of the site? A given is Lawnsite.

2.When talking turf quality, name 6 characterics of the "visual quality" of a lawn.

3.On the same line when talking "functional quality" of the lawn the golf course world is the standard. Name the function which indicates the average distance a ball travels upon being released to a turf surface? Bonus; name a device that releases a ball at a consistent speed that measures this characteristic.

4.The flowering porting of the grass shoot is called____________.

5. A 50/50 question for you--- Bimodal growth is found predominately with
    a. cool season grass cultivars
    b. warm season grass cultivars.
    For full credit explain why.

6.All grasses are members of a single family of plants called the G_________ or P_______. There are (how many) subfamilies. The subfamilies contain (how many) tribes, 600 genera and 7500 species.

7. ____ is a surface layer of organic residue mixed with soil. Is this seen as a good or a bad thing more often than not? Bonus points is answering WHY.

8.When talking fertilizer we are talking __?___nutrients largest quantity(name them), ____?____ medium quantity (name them) and __?__nutrients smallest quantity, name them (hint there are 7).

9.True or False- a faculative saprophyte called Microdocium nivale causes grey snow mold?

10. Based on research conducted by Texas A&M University the USDA Green Section first published specifications for greens construction in the year____?

11. Did you enjoy taking this test?

12. Do you want to know more?

Winter is a great time to learn more about what we do and why we do it. These questions are tough and obviously some of them have no bearing on how we do business but it is amazing that there is an intense science behind something most would consider a simple thing that is taken for granted, grass.

Like I said, I took most of these questions from a book. Had I taken the test I would have gotten 3 right. #1, #11 and #12.

Hey spring is near and you won't have to test for that!!!!!

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

1] chuck
    11] no

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

LOLLOL :waving:

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Does anybody know what happened to Chuck? Haven't seen him around for better than 6 months.

Sorry Mow Ed didn't mean to highjack your thread.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I thought that I heard through the grapevine that he got in trouble for something, unless I am mistaken. Maybe I heard wrong

6. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I know #1 was Chuck Smith and the original site was Chucks Chevy Homepage I can remember it well actually. I tapped into the site about 7 or 8 yrs ago and have been here ever since.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, the original owner was Chuck keough and I believe Lawnsite was originally called Hall of Forums.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, I'm a failure!
    I missed them all, what can i say? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

1. Chuck
    2. Color, texture, density, uniformity, ?,?

3. “Green Speed” Device; Stimpmeter or Speedstick.

4.The flowering porting of the grass shoot is called_ Flowering Culm/ Seed Head
    5. A 50/50 question for you--- Bimodal growth is found predominately with
    a. cool season grass cultivars

For full credit explain why. Spring and Fall periods of growth

6.All grasses are members of a single family of plants called the Gramineae or Poaceae.

7. O Horizon/ Thatch is a surface layer of organic residue mixed with soil. Is this seen as a good or a bad thing more often than not? Bonus points is answering WHY.

8.When talking fertilizer we are talking 16 elements? Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen__nutrients largest quantity(name them), ____? Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (These are referred to as Primary. Secondary; Calcium, magnesium, and sulfer. Micronutrients are small amounts and are considered minor nutrients.

9.True or False- a faculative saprophyte called Microdocium nivale causes grey snow mold? False

10. Based on research conducted by Texas A&M University the USDA Green Section first published specifications for greens construction in the year____? No Idea

11. Did you enjoy taking this test? I had to dig out the book

12. Do you want to know more? I want to hire folks that know more.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One of the names was Lawnicure I think.