1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A radio station called!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by walteraguthrie, Jun 23, 2005.

1. walteraguthrie

walteraguthrie LawnSite Member

Ok I just had 4600 flyers come out in the paper and a local radio station called and they have a show on there called "Dial a Trade" and its where they will advertise your business and people call in for the service. I'm not real clear on all the detail yet because I still have got to meet with them. The deal is at least 72 ads a month for $150. The show is on 7 days a week...3 times a day mon-fri and 2 times a day on sat. and 1 time on sunday. They also said if i didn't get the response that I want that i'll get the next month free. So what do you guys think? I seems like a good deal to me
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Might be worth it. Make sure in your ad you specify the areas you service. Radio waves travel a long way.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sounds interesting... Depends though on what services you will be offering and what month your ad will be running. Let's say it's going to run in July... If you are only going to offer grasscutting, I doubt you will get tons of calls. Not saying you won't get ANY calls, but most people now have their service for the season in place. Now if you offer lots of work such as landscaping, hedge trimming, retaining walls, fall leaf cleanups, etc, then it may just work out ok for you. But since you are just starting out, maybe you aren't providing all these services yet.
    This is just my opinion, but for anyone just really starting out, I think the best time to launch the business and lay down the advertising dollars is in early spring.
    Keep us updated on what you decide to do, and how it works out.
    Good luck,
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I heard some time ago this thing with the radio station is some kinda scam they get new people all excited with but the real important thing is if you've never advertised on the radio before and this is your first year, maybe slow down some.

I mean, have you ever LISTENED to this supposed show of theirs? How about any of your friends, have they ever heard of it? Yeah check this out first because I recently spent $160 on a Home-based paper publication and the response rate SUCKS (not even a call the entire month)! Well come to find out everyone I talk to has never even heard of it, so as you see, you want to be careful. To me, 160 bucks is a frustration but really it's no big deal, I was literally goofing off a bit.
    Because see even if they give you a free month, what good is it if the show sucks so bad you get no calls whether they give you the whole dang YEAR for free, if it sucks, it sucks.

Now lets assume it doesn't suck (yeah but check into it, ask some friends and stuff)... Far as I know, the pecking order of Advertising (from lowest to highest response and price-wise) is:
    LOWEST: Business cards + flyers.
    Mid-low: Newspaper ads. (these run 50-100 dollars/week)
    Middle: Yellow Pages. (these run 2,000-3,000/year or more)
    Mid-High: Radio Ads. (these run 5,000-10,000 per slot)
    HIGHEST: TV Ads. (these run 20,000 - 100,000 per slot)

So I mean, a radio ad puts you way up there, IF it doesn't suck... A popular FM station around here will get you like 10 thousand calls in a week! But see, it also costs like 5 thousand dollars so there's some problems because something doesn't jive with this $160/month.

So I dunno, but best of luck AND I would really only spend the money if you can spare it - That's how I spent my 160, it just wasn't that big a deal so I figured why not, what the heck. But I'm not hurting because of it, I wasn't counting on any response before I even wrote the check, I knew it might suck.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi walteraguthrie,

Why not ask the radio station for a list of LCO's they have done this with in the past who you can call to see how it worked for them? If this works, I am sure they will be more than happy to give you references.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Actually that's a really good idea.