A real bad day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jun 3, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Went out today to change the blades on my 52 w/b. the right side one was stuck really bad. I had a cheater pipe on my socket wrench and bent the socket wrench. A 24" crescent wrench only rounded the nut off. Finally, a pipe wrench got it. While bending the socket wrench with a cheater pipe, I braced my foot against the right rear tire accidentally breaking the valve stem, making the tire go flat and not hold air for more than 5 minutes :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just been a bad day and not getting better..... had to vent. Well at least I don't have to cut today, I'm about to set it on fire and push it over a cliff so I can have mr. insurance buy me a new one.
    :angry:
    just had to vent sorry.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We ALL have $%&**@ days.

Hope it goes better for you. :)

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

yeah well like i said at least it's not a mowing day.....
    now i have to go to the tire shop and hardware (blade nut) and might go look at a used engine to upgrade this thing...
    I put the rider by the road yesterday and again this morning, a gentleman already stopped this morning (highways great for selling stuff) told him $3700 he seems a bit interested but is gonna keep looking.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hey it did get better :D Got the tire fixed and the guy that looked at the mower came back and bought it! I took it to his house and he's going to be quite happy with it on his 3 to 4 acre place. Now i'll be looking for a truck and worry about another mower next spring.:)

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

That is why I like having a big compressor around. With a good impact wrench, changing blades is as easy as 1-2-3.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Use proper equipment to get the job done so you don't have problems later, I learned that a while ago. One question, why would you buy a mower to sell it 3 weeks later? Just curious.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No, I tried the impact too, the air compressor was fully charged (around 90 psi ) it would not touch it... it was stuck good and I still don't know why. I am getting to where I just tighten them with a wrench so I can change them in the field to switch to mulching or discharging easier. I can change from discharge to mulch or vise-versa in 10 minutes or so including changing blades and adding or removing the baffles.

Scag48, I made quite a nice profit on it, definately made it worth my while and it was fun to have around, I learned from it (what I really need) and it made me some money. I buy/sell/trade stuff all the time but this is the biggest deal I've made so far, proportionally I've made more profit on other deals though.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Your blade was obnoxiously tight because you PUT IT ON TOO LOOSE!!!

Huh??????

Ya! You just said you leave them loose so you can change them in the field.

Well, what happens when you clutch in at high RPM or hit something like a rock or large stick, the blade is for a split second slowed down while the spindle shaft races on, because it is too loose. It tightens itself with a lot of force, if you are lucky. If you are not lucky, the blade bolt is sheared off inside the spindle.

SO, tighten your bolts tight, so the blade is firmly anchored against the spindle, and removal will be predictable and assured.

KB

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have been abusing the bolts with pipe wrenches and crescent wrenches, get all new ones.

Treat them with anti-seize compound.

Only remove/install them with a breaker bar or impact wrench, or install them with a torque wrench if you want to be meticulous.

10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Don't feel bad. I threw a rod through the side of my new XT-3000 Dixie last Monday and took it to the shop 40 minutes away only to have the clutch go out in my truck halfway home.