1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Real Newbie..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BMXUnc, Jul 5, 2004.

1. BMXUnc

BMXUnc LawnSite Member

Being a newbie, please forgive my ignorance. I just want to start a simple lawn mowing service. I'm thinking of $25 or $30 per lawn and just want to use, for example, a "standard" John Deere riding lawn mower. Nothing too fancy. Think I can make it work? I live in Minnesota where there are many lawn service companies, but I just want a small piece of the action. Being able to make a reasonable living through the summer months would be excellent. Oh, one other thing, what is a "common" thing that "lawn mowing people", as my nephew refers to them, do in the winter to make a decent living? Thanks so much in advance for all answers/comments/suggestions. I have been reading this site literally word for word! Thanks!!!
  2. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Price depends on the size of the account. Are you going to charge $30 dollars for a 5 acre account or 1/4 acre lot? Huge differance. Are you going to do this part-time or full time? If part-time, the the john deere might be fine for a few accounts, if you are going to do this for a living, then you need a commercial grade walk-behind at the minimum. As far as winter work, plowing snow would be the most common for anybody that gets any substatial snow fall.
  3. BMXUnc

BMXUnc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, Gunner27. I hope to hear lots of different responses. I plan to start out part-time, but also plan to make it full-time and get bigger equipment. I just want to make it simple until I learn more tricks of the trade. I'm not looking to get filthy rich (although who wouldn't mind that?), but my goal is $2,000 per month. Does anyone know which companies (John Deere, Snapper, etc., etc.) are a little more "relaxed" about financing? My credit isn't exactly perfect, but it's not the worst, either. Again, I thank you for your time. (Oh, and I don't mind working my butt off as long as I'm working for ME!!!)
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

do you have insurance???
  5. BMXUnc

BMXUnc LawnSite Member

dcondon, thanks for your reply. No, not yet. I haven't started my business yet, either though. That is my next step. I plan to call my insurance guy within the next day or two. Hopefully, that won't be too devastating financially.