A really good guy got himself fired today.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garth, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

As many of you know, I work for a non-profit corporation that works with and employs developmentally disabled adults. This morning one of my job coaches and a close personal friend of mine was fired for drinking on the job. We worked for the city together and for Hell Depot for a year and I've known him for about 5 years. This is the third job that I know of that he's been sacked for drinking. Our consumers come first. They have more rights than any of us. The State could shut us down for not firing him immediately. It hurts because he's a good friend, and he's putting three kids through college, and works on the side on his days off. He is constantly borrowing money from me for lunch and smokes and has ALWAYS paid me back. He has a problem. Today I wish I wasn't a supervisor

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm , that must hurt .
    Sorry

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You might have done him a favor. The sooner he hits bottom the sooner he will try to help himself

4. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

G#D Grant me the serentiy to accept the things I cannot change

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Well I talked to him today and we're still friends. Apparently, he's going to tell his wife of 36 years that he wants a divorce and he's been sleeping in his truck just to get away from her. More's the pity in that. He started crying when he saw the lads one last time. Working with this population we have a habit of getting attached to and protecting our guys because they're alot like children. They don't realize whats happening around them. And to see a guy who was in the military 25 years and did three tours in Vietnam cry like that was positively heart-wrenching. I offered to get him a county bed at the substance abuse clinic I used to work at but he declined. So I told him," If you really want to get out of the hole, you need to throw away the shovel".