A retail/wholesale mulch outlet

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tony58, Jan 7, 2004.

1. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

I've done a search on this but didn't find any good info.Where I live the nearest mulch supplier is 15-18 miles away.In the spring I see pick-ups and trailers going by knowing the distance they are having to haul it.I have a small dump that will haul 3yd wet 4 yd dry ,I just dump and go.I have to drive 30 miles round trip for each load.I'm considering starting a retail/wholesale operation.
    I've got three suppliers that will sale wholesale to me in bulk,so I'II have no problem getting the product.I would start out selling hardwood,midnight and playground mulch.If it proved to work out I'd add pine mulch , washed pea gravel and straw ect.
    Another question is how to load the product.I'd like to have a loader that would scoop 1/2 or 1 yd. to keep it simple.I've gone to mulch places to get 3yd knowing the have 4 or more loaded.Then go back later and lucky to have 2 1/2 loaded.,with a different operator.Thats bad business to be inconsistent on volume.Most of my loading would be on reg. pick-ups,I dont think there would be much larger trucks.I've got a 21 horse tractor with a loader that would probably too small for this operation.So I'd have to buy a larger used tractor or used bobcat?
    Anybody on this forum been down this road that could offer any good information.

Thanks Tony

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Tony in the Spring I keep around 100 yards of mulch in stock on my property for bussines use, buying in bulk we pay $9.75 per yard . Best way to do this is go down to your local concrete company and buy some 4'X4' Blocks almost all concrete companys sell these then make a mulch bin with them to hold the mulch. We have several items to load the mulch with we have 2 bobcats with 1 yard buckets, but since they are on jobsites more then the shop, we use a john deere 110 tlb has 1.5 yard bucket and it works great

Good luck

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to find a wholesale supllier in northeast Tennessee, that sells bagged mulch by the pallet. Tri-Cities area.
    Crawdad

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We buy it in 150yds3 per time. A 773 is kept at the garden centre at all times...works for us. A one yard bucket Jared? What size of bobcat do you have that on?

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

both bobcats are s300 model

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

What is the capacity of the bucket on your loader? I mean if you are just loading pick ups, I don't really see it being that much of a problem. I would try the loader first before going out and buying a machine. If things don't work out for some reason, now you have a skidsteer you really don't need.

As far as keeping consistent with loading, it is close to impossible. There are too many factors involved. Wetness, operator judgment, compaction, etc. If you know you have a 1/2 yard bucket, that is really all you can base your judgment on. :cool:

7. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

went through 600 cu/yards this year between installing and garden center retail.

8. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys fellows.

Weatherman- sounds like you have some nice equipment.How did you move those 4x4blocks?I would like to use some 12ft. highway dividers ,it'd cost a bunch to have them moved.I found some used ones for 50.00 ea.Are your bins on concrete pads?I'II have to pay 10.00 per cu.yd for 65 yd. or 12.00 for 40-65 yd. plus 25.00 delivery fee.

Crawdad- Check with Barky Beaver in Moss,Tn and Mortons in McMinnville.

Paponte- Don't laugh,mine is a Woods 6.8 cu.ft.,quit laughing.I've decided to go with a larger tractor and loader instead of a bobcat,I can use it for other jobs.

Kris & steve in Pa.Sound like ya'll are moving some mulch.I will too if I can get it together by March or April.

To All
    Any more mulch webb sites or forums.Hard to get local information.Even when I go 40-50 miles from my location mulch centers are tight liped.They must think I'II hurt there business that far away.Even the suppliers here are a strange bunch.Not much useful start up info or won't return calls and such.I'II have to find the best of the three local suppliers.

Thanks Tony

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, man. I'll check them out. :D
    Crawdad

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Our concrete blocks for bins are not 4x4 ... I think they were 2ft wide 3 feet long x 2ft high ... we used a rented crane to set them in place ... they are like huge lego blocks so you can build up or on as the need arises.