1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A safe place in Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by wildstarblazer, Dec 6, 2011.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I am a looking to work for a lawn company in Fl. but where is a good place to live with young kids in Florida? I lived and grew up in in ft lauderdale and don't want to let my kids grow up there. Anyone feel safe where they are??
  2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i feel safe where i live. lived here since 73. unless you live in a very small town there is no best or safest town in fla. i will say i dont care to live on the east coast great place to go and drink and see great looking women but woulnt live there..

i would say i think the west coast of fla south of tampa is not as bad as the east coast. just my opinion...but there is crime here also....
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

What is wrong with Statesboro Ga.???? My step son went to College there and it seems like a safe place to raise children.

I raise my Children as a Single Parent in a small town on the Gulf Coast of Florida. But I told them from day one it was a great place to grow up but not the place for young adults to get ahead. The day both my children graduated High school they left for College and the Big city (Miami). Other than to visit neither one has come back or will they. Like Gregory I love to visit the East Coast of Florida, But I don't think I would want to live there.
  4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

If I were to do it over, sarasota
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I hate to say it but if you're planning on working for a lawn company here as a main source of income you're not going to like any where you can afford to live in FL. Unless, If you have some other means of income.... (Central)Celebration, Lake Mary, Windermere are nice places for kids to grow up. There are some nice family friend places in SWFL as mentioned Estero, Bonita Beach, Naples, Sarasota.
  6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Says the lawn guy living in windermere?

To the OP - Oviedo where I live. Check it out - we have been listed as one of the top 100 cities in the country to live for the past 3 years for a reason. Quick trip to Orlando events in a much more laid back community. Plenty of private schools to choose from if you can afford (most start at 13k per kid) but if you go public then most of the schools all grade levels are A rated schools and have been consistently for years.

Unknown mentioned Lake Mary which is also a very nice place. The real estate up there traditionally has been a little higher - but you also gain quick access to I-4 which is nice if you choose to avoid the toll roads.

In general - the city of Orlando is not somewhere I would want to raise kids but there are lots of surrounding neighborhoods as mentioned that are nice such as windermere, oviedo, lake mary/heathrow.
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

New Tampa, Westchase, Carrolwood, Trinity, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor. Are you looking to work for a small operator or someone like VC? If you think its guaranteed year round employment you might be dissappointed.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Bithlo, Riviera beach, and Mims are few of my favorite towns
  9. Riviera for sure!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Statesboro is a great place for kids and adults. But if your a lawn man your in poverty. Anyone with a pickup has a lawn service, plus most residents are do it yourselfers. I just can't seem to aquire enough work to make a good living. If your a Doctor or a teacher this is the place to live.