A Scag Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tx Firefighter, May 21, 2003.

1. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 36 inch belt drive walk behind. It has the "Advantage" deck. I need to mulch some of my jobs.

Scag offers two choices:

1- mulching plate and a set of mulching blades
    2- the whole bolt it on underneath type of ultimate mulching kit.

Has anyone ever used the mulching plate (#1 above)? It is a lot cheaper and it looks like it can be removed quickly so I can discharge again. My dealer says that the big kit (#2 above) is a PITA to install, and there is no easy way to remove it if I want to discharge.

The nature of my customers won't really allow me to mulch all of them, and buying a seperate mower for each type of job isn't an option.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Just put 'gators on it - Forget the mulching

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you answered your own question. If you cant remove #2 then get the other type.

Jimbo

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

That simple bolt on plate worked well for my scag when I desired that big line of wadded up grass look. The mulch kits work well for some, and for me in certain conditions, but with spring growth, and grass moisture mulching is not an option for me at this time. Hope you find something that works well for you.

Jay

5. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Tx Firefighter
    I would like to know the same thing ! Do you bag with your scag ? Also how do you like it ? I have never ran a Scag walk behind with the pistol grips, is it easy to control ? Is it hard on the hands ? How is the tracking ?

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Brad, if you want that type of look then fine. I offer much more for all my customers. That makes my company much different from yours, because everyone else out there only uses side discharge!

If you want to offer your customers a try mulching job, get the complete deal. If you get the plate only, it will leave a huge mess

If you use Gators, you will ONLY get small clippings out the discharge. it will not be mulching at all. I mulch all my properties and not only can I see a difference, they can as well.

Mine always look greener and much more healthy. Especially when compared to the ones next door that use another LCO that only uses side discharge!

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

If you mulch all the time here you will have a huge thatch layer in the fall ! It stays too dry here in the summer and low humidity so the mulching thing does not work well! The Landscaper who does it all the time here also has one guy that does nothing but thatches for three to four weeks in the fall on their commercial contracts at a rate of about $60 per day for a thatcher rental! Makes no sense here to mulch! It does not properly decompose! It dries out to fast and then you have alot of dried out pieces of grass in the lawn !