A scag question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Apr 18, 2004.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I own a tiger cub and have noticed that the larger ztr scags advertise an oil cooler for the hydraulics as standard. I was wondering if I should get one and install it on my cub?? I would think the pumps could handle it. It would also add to the capacity of the system and also keep it cooler and last longer. What are yalls thoughts on this??
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Our cub is over three years old and still goin' strong.
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

my guess is the parts would be interchangable with other Scags.
    i would suggest you mow your biggest lawn and then feel the resevior tank. if you can't keep your hand on it a cooler would help.
  4. grasscutter122003

grasscutter122003 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have a STC with the 61" deck. This is the one that is now the new cougar. This one came with a oil cooler mounted above the engine fan to draw air through it. But the others seem to work fine down here in this GA heat and humidity. :D
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

An oil cooler isn't necessary on the smaller mowers since they are lighter machines. The big Scags are heavy beasts and that's why Scag installs the hydro coolers on those mowers as standard equipment.
    I doubt very much that an oil cooler on your Tiger Cub would make any difference in longevity or performance.