A service to add to your lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I'm standing here working in Radio Shack bored out of my mind with no customers, and the window washer guy just came by about 15 minutes ago. Now i'm thinking... he just cleaned 5 windows and it took no more than 3 minutes to do it all, and he charged 8 bucks. He comes by every month and does several windows in the shopping center. Now this has me thinking... If I offered this to my customers for, lets say $30 for one cleaning a month on a single-story home, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to do using a squeegie/spongue thingy, isn't that a great way to make extra cash? Have any of you guys done this? Think its worth looking into?

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The people I know that clean windows charge $5.00 a window, any size.

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds plausible. . .but you might want to look into the proper way to go about it and the best tools (i.e. squeegies). It sounds simple enough, but the reason I say that is the last thing you want is to be replacing all the windows in the house because you scratched them up or something. I'm no expert, just just aware that there are different materials that windows are made of and some might scratch with the tools you'd use on regular glass. . .just a thought.

4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Thats not a bad idea, I think that you could get a pretty good response on that especially if you mow where there is quite a bit of dirt, etc. blown around from the back pack blower. Fresh cut grass and clean windows, obviously grass first windows second.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I know that Wells (one of the members here for those that don't know) does this. I believe he has his set up as a separate business.

And from what I've heard and read when looking into it, $8 for 5 windows is the lowballer of window washing :D

Anyway, seems like an easy enough venture to try. Even if you just offered it to your current lawn customers. The more you can sell to you current customers, the less business you have to seek elsewhere.

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Gogetter is right....I have a seperate company that does window washing.
    Both companies operate independent of each other.
    Window cleaning is very profitable and has extremely low overhead.

PM me if you want more information.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting thought, especially as one gets a good mailing list for the neighborhoods on the route.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. Don't do windows or floors. If it works for you Wells, congrats too btw...

9. Bull_11

Bull_11 LawnSite Member

Wells,

Do you stick to single story houses, or do you do 2-story as well? If so, how do you go about doing the 2nd story?

Brian

10. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

It's the second and thrid floor windows that would get me.

I offered gutter cleaning my 1st year and after moving the ladder 8 times on just the back of the house (extended to it's full 28') Up and down 8 times that was about all I could take! It did pay well though.