1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A single blade of grass????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HB Lawn, Sep 2, 2005.

1. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

Every lawn I look at seems to have these single blades of grass sticking up all over, what is the cause of this? Is doesn't matter if the person used a push mower or a comm. one. It doesn't matter if the mower has new blades or used ones. It doesn't matter if the person is mulching or just blowing out thru the discharge chute. WHY?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Fast speeds, dull blades, thick turf.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Add uncontrolled airflow and improper deck pitch and or baffling along with improper N fertilization.
  4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

One word...bahia
  5. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

Bahia, July, August. oh i forgot one Dallas grass too. every year at this time me and my partner complain about dull vs. sharp fresh blades, but no more it just the time of year you have to mow parts of the yard twice to get it all cut doun.
  6. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

your probably talking about St Augustine grass, aren't you? Not matter what type of blade of mower you use on it, your going to have straglers. Maybe high lifts and a bagger would be the best method to rid the lawn of these but I've never had a customer complain about it. I have looked at the property across the street and the grass looks the same after it was cut from their lco.
  7. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

Yes I,m talking about St. Augustine grass. Yeah, all the lawns look good when their done, it's just that I happen to really noticed it when I cut one customer's lawn and then went to cut the lawn right behind it,which happens to have a five feet high wall between them, and I just happen to look up and that's when I seen all those single blades of grass sticking up. It looked ugly No customer complaints to date.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When cutting St Augustine it seems almost impossible, we have one customer that is constantly on us about this problem. We did note that you have to watch the blower guy because he can cause even more problem is he blows around in the lawn.
  9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Its time to cut.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

That is strange. I don't have that problem with our st augustine lawns. Unless of course I am cutting with dull blades (rarely happens) or am trying to cut way too fast (rarely happens).

We use newly sharpened blades daily and on our 1/2 bahia day we change them after the bahia is done. No problems. In mixed yards we have to slow down for the bahia patches or they stick up 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher.