A single blade on a 32inch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a 32inch mower with one 32inch blade. Does it seem to scalp more? hows the quality of the cut?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

never have had a single, just two singles. That is a long blade though if single. It would be 33+ inches

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think that you would get a very good quality cut with a blade that long. since the blade is longer than a 16" blade the engine has to work harder to turn the blade at the same rpm as the 16".

4. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Toro 32 walk put a bagger on it. Was on of the best cutting mowers I had. Did a beautiful job. Had a customer that would not let me put anything else in his yard. Had to sell because I can not use a walk behind any more because of leg. I use a Walker mower mower in stead.

mowers 009.jpg

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the same Toro Proline 32.one big blade...

6. Wynnscapes

Wynnscapes LawnSite Member

I still have a 32" Toro Proline Walk-Behind w/a Kohler command (standard HP) that I bought several years ago......1 Big Blade.
    It cuts like a champ!!!! But, U have to be real wary of sharpening that one blade for sure......and, 1 large blade like that will scalp occasionally more often on bumpy terrain, when the body bounces, but what mower doesn't?!?!?!?
    That Recycler deck that is closed on that 32" model is still one of the best designs for cutting I've seen in all my years of mowing......it just flat plain cuts clean & neat.
    In my opinion, if time were not an issue on large properties we would use 32" walk-behinds on everything versus a ZTR.

7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Thats one big ass gas tank on that pic there!

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what does the legnth of the blade have to do with scalping?

GEO :confused:

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same Toro 32" Proline the Broken Leg posted and it cuts great. In fact, it leaves as good of a cut as my ZTR most of the time. Scalping is no more a problem with the single blade than any other setup. Blade length is not the contributor in scalping in this case. Also, the blade is more like 31.5", not 33++.

10. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Blade length does matter when it comes to scalping. The front and back wheels are further apart which allows the crests of hills more exposure to blades.

I believe that the longer the blade, the better the cut in high grass. The longer blade allows more time and room for grass to stand up. Same concept as a bush hog.

As far as power to spin the blade, the longer blade has more momentum, making it not only harder to start but also harder to stop.