A small part time lawn service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJIII, Jul 20, 2002.

1. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

Hey guys I got a question? I am planning on starting buy my tools for the lawn service business when I get a job this year.

But I would like to know should I get a walkbehind or a ztr to go with the 21'' ?

I might buy a toro groundmaster fount mower or a toro ztr.
  2. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

Don't worry about getting anything larger than a 21" until you have enough accounts to justify getting a larger mower. If I remember your situation from previous posts I think you need to keep it simple until you are ready to grow. The first 20 or so accounts are the hardest to get. Plan for worst case senarios and go from there. Buy a used commercial mower from another LCO, buy a trimmer, blower, and edger and then get the accounts. Once you are actually making some money and you are maxed out on your time THEN think about getting a larger mower so that you can add more accounts and do them in the same amount of time.
  3. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Are you still talking about starting a lawn business?
    WHEN you get a job????

Man, you crack me up!

I think you should reconsider the self-employment idea until you've had a few years of actual employment.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im assuming u are just out o high school.
    get u a good 36 wb ,echo trimmer .
    do this along with another pt time job and go to to a trade school or some kinda
    higher education.. man its getting tough out here. i know a lady with a masters in hospital administration, that worked as a casheir at ekerds for a long time before she found a position in her field.
    my own sons a chemist and it took a long time for him also. times is changing fast now bud.good luck.
    ps kinda makes a bleak picture for a 55 yr old man ,who use to have a lawn care service.:)
  5. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

Ya I am getting out of school I am homeschool. ya I am planning on going to college for two years.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

great bud . go gettum:)