1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Solo Operation In a Need Of Help!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eazy, Mar 29, 2004.

1. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Here is the deal, This is my first year in the business and I have 17 residential accounts that I take care of ALL by myself. I am new to the business so I do not know any other people in the business.

The problem comes in July, when I need a week and a half off for a brothers wedding in New Mexico.

So now do you see the problem? What can I do? Should I notify the resident and skip the two cuttings or something like that?

Any information would be surely appreciated!!

Thanks for your time,
  2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Soundslike you will either have to skip them or see if you can find a friend that can do the work for you while you are gone.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

At this point, it sounds like yer only option. I had to skip a week last September due to a death in the family. Just picked up right where I left off. Worked out fine. However, I am very dependable, so it is a rare occassion. Be sure to let them know a week or so in advance. Also, I wouldn't mention it before then.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

your not going to get excessive growth in a week and a half in july. Just let them know a few weeks ahead and move on.
  5. Steven Anderson

Steven Anderson LawnSite Member

tell them all well in advance that you will do them before you leave and when you get back if it takes a double mow for it to get back in shape you will only charge for one that seems to work because they here the word free have a good time at wedding be careful letting someone else do them no no!!!
  6. eazy

eazy LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. Was going that route but wanted to make sure:D

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a neighbor that is a salesman, and takes over the operation when this happens to me. He is good with machinery and is conciencious. He is a salesman, and call this his second job which allows independent contractor status. I am a family only operation, which saves some on certain kinds of insurance.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Where in Texas are you, I'll take over the work for you while you're gone and use my own stuff;p
  9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

You should be fine given the time of year...just hit them all during the last 2 days before you go!
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would try to fit in all of the mower a day or two before you leave, and then nail them when you get back for they only have exactly 1 1/2 weeks