1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A southern thing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by flathead, Jun 6, 2007.

1. flathead

flathead LawnSite Member

Living in the south all my life, i am used to seeing pinestraw in bed areas way more often than mulch, but when i travel, all i see is mulch. In SC, I'll bet you could stop off every exit on I-20 between Florence and Lugoff and not see more than one or two houses with mulch. But if you get north of Virginia, you can't find more than one or two houses with pinestraw.
    Do they not sell it up there?

2. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

They do, before I got into this business I had no idea that it was sold. Now that I know about it, I do see it at the mulch wholesaler I buy from.

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in south Jersey Dark black Mulch dominates the market. I don't think that anyone here would ever even consider pine straw mulch. I don't think that I have ever even seen it here period. The only place I have ever seen this is down is GA. I guess they soak the needles in oil??. It's a great idea, it just would not be much sought after here.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Yeah it is definately a southern thing. I probably do 5000 bales a year and only a 100 yards of mulch a year. Be sure not to post any landscaping pics w/ pine straw in it on this site... you will get flamed by the yanks!! :)

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

We might get flamed for putting the pinestraw down, but it sure does look good when it is put down right! Some people would change their minds about it if they knew how easy it was to put down.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I agree about how easy it is to put down. I NOW(because of Gas and wildfires) pay $2.95 per Bale, and charge $7 bucks to install. No bed edging, and now cleaning out the leaves, shrub trimmings, etc. Not to mention, its a common practice to put it down in the fall after all the leaves are down, and again late spring. We put down 115 Bales today spread out over 3 homes and a back hill. Six guys, and we knocked it out in about a little under a hours, Hedges trimmed, and 3 trees planted. So all and all, a pretty good day even though we skipped 13 out of 40 homes because of slow or no growth.

7. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is a southeast think. You don't see it in Arkansas either. The only property that has it around here is a huge new mall, but the company that did it is Visionscpaes out of Georgia. I have heard a lot of comments from people that don't like it. Chocolate Brown mulch is the big product around here.

8. flathead

flathead LawnSite Member

I have shoveled mulch and spread straw, and i must say I would rather spread straw any day! It is much easier on this aging back, lol.

9. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I disagree. I think every part of the country has it's thing. Here in Jersey mulch trends have changed over the years. Thick cut bark mulch was popular for awhile, then it was the bright orange and red mulch. Now black mulch is just the norm. I bet if someone was to put down the pine straw mulch, it would be very popular in no time. It's seems around here if someone does something different, everyone wants to do the same thing..They feel like they are being left out..

10. BlueShieldLawnCare

BlueShieldLawnCare LawnSite Member

Mulch is getting much more popular around the Charleston area. The problem with pinestraw is you get redbugs, and from personal experience, they suck! Red mulch is very popular, and now the dark brown is getting popular, as well.