1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

a spraying question?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnwizards, Jul 15, 2005.

what would you do?

1. no way, i'm not licensed to do it.

20 vote(s)
  2. sure, whats the harm

7 vote(s)
  3. o.k. but don't tell anyone

2 vote(s)
  4. sure, but it'll cost you (x amount) extra....

17 vote(s)
  1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

a little old lady you do lawns for asks you (no certification) if you could spray some round up on her weeds. (she bought it) what do you say?
  2. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i say i'll do it
  3. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Ill prolly get slammed for this but we dont have a liscence...probably need one but we spray Lesco Prosecutor weed killer on most commercials every week.

Sprayed 30 gallons today at one large shopping complex that we service...no one has said anything in the past years.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have a license but do spraying and ferting all the time, doesnt bother me and i charge the same prices my competition would. I have the knowledge I just dont have the piece of paper that says I have it.

5. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

If thats the case then maybe you should stop being lazy and actually take the test. Surely someone capable of running a business could pass a simple test at the local dept of agriculture. Bad business ethics if you ask me...
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I don't, but one of these days I might just do it.

In my state, in order to get a license, you have to show proof of insurance. I have insurance but it's none of their business. Oh, did I mention that my state is the only state in the U.S. that has non-competitive auto insurance companies? Yea that's right, the state is in the pocket of the insurance company.

I will take the test sooner or later.
  7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

In my state, you can apply pesticide w/out a license if the customer buys it, transports it and doesn't pay you for the app. You just need to make up the cost on another part of the project.
  8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

Go Ahead And Spray It.long As Yall Got Good Book Lernin. Lol.
  9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

if the customer supplies the chemical and application equipment you are exempt from licensing in Fl
  10. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

How much do you guys add on to your cost for the mow for this routine "weedkill" finish?