A spring platform I made for my Wright Stander.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC51, Sep 25, 2006.

1. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I was at my dealer a little while back and they had an old Great Dane that had really seen better days. Anyway I stood on it just see what it was like compared to my Stander. It had a spring mounted platform that I thought was nice, so I designed one for my Stander. I cut a piece of plywood to fit, placed it on the platform and marked the holes. I drilled a number of holes for 1/4" bolts. I got some small compression springs and cut them, some in three and some in half. The number of springs will vary depending on your weight. I put a fine piece of wire through the hole and then the bolt the wire is to hold the springs in position when you flip it over. The bolts are to keep the springs from moving around. I put nuts and washers on the front and back rows of bolts to keep it secure. It helps absorb a lot of the jolts. :canadaflag:

Platform in position.jpg

Bottom of platform.jpg

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Thats pretty cool man. How well has the ride improved?

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Um...with that many springs, you are running the risk of your project becoming counter productive. IMO, the springs are too close together and MIGHT produce a harder, less forgiving ride. I would think that a total of 8 springs located on the outter edges might prove beneficial. This would allow for a "floating center" and will add more bounce and spring in your ride.....just my two cents...........looks darn good though ol' chap.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That looks pretty good. You've been thinking!!! It looks like a pain to line up all the bolts? Idea-nonslip tape for it. I need some coffee.

5. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

When I was experimenting with it if you have too many springs the ride is too stiff, if you don't have enough you bottom out and there isn't enough support.

6. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

You should look at a Great Dane Super Surfer. They have four springs built into their platform. Seems to work well. I've replaced two broken springs since I've had my machine-about 6 years.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What about a 2 tiered approach with 2 different spring rates? One set would produce a nice ride and the stiffer springs would stop you from bottoming out. Or, maybe some rubber stop blocks?
    Seems to me with a set rate you either bottom out or a harsh ride.

8. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I tried some super bounce balls as a rubber shock absorber in adition to the springs but it was too hard. You can't have too high a platform so you are somewhat limited.