A Start-up Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rhalverson, Mar 15, 2007.

1. rhalverson

rhalverson LawnSite Member

Gentlemen, I sure would appreciate it if you could weigh in on this. I really need the opinions of guys in the know.

I am planning buying a nice 6 X 10 ft aluminum trailer with ramp to carry my Toro 48 " Z turn, a Toro 21" walk behind and a weed eater, an edger and various other basic tools.

My plan is to pull it my current car, a Subaru Impreza with a 1500 lb. tow capacity, so weight-wise I'm O.K. The car is in perfect shape, silver in color.

This of course enables me to keep my first year costs down.

My question is, does this rig sound too "Mickey Mouse?" By that I mean, will potential customers regard me as a serious professional if I don't have a pickup or SUV to haul my stuff? Or will they think I'm unprofessional and therefore not want to hire me 'cause I'm diving a car, and not a truck?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Rick in Wisconsin

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not say that you are just getting started. What your looking at is residential right. We all have to start somewhere bud. Just do a good job and keep your price in check with everyone else. My .02 worth

3. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

As long as you dress professional (golf shirt) do a good job you will be fine. I have noticed customers don't care what equipment you have as long as you get the job done and there lawn looks nice.

4. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

I agree with Walker. I do not think that people will frown on what you drive unless it is a rusted out 1972 Chevy truck with no exhaust that is held together by duct tape with a bed full of old car parts....Just get some customers and do the best that you can at your work and develope good customer relationships. Atleast this is what I am told as this is also my first year doing it all legit. Good Luck!

5. rhalverson

rhalverson LawnSite Member

Great. I know I can do a great job on the lawn care once I get the work. I won't accept anything less.
    And I do plan to move into commercial work once I get more established. But it's good to know that you guys feel that it won't be a problem for me to get work just because I don't have a truck. I really appreciate hearing from you all. Thanks much.
    Rick

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

The make/model of a vehicle is not important....just so it's clean.

Back in the late 70's when I was with ChemLawn (the original one---NOT tru-queen), they did a study:

Most important= 1) How you present yourself. 2) Results. 3) What you tell customers.

Any vehicle works.

I made a mistake years ago ....

I started my own lawn care company in 1990. I named it "AMERICAN" Lawn Care (in respect to my friends and family members who served our Country from the Battle of the Buldge to Viet Nam).

Welp...My sales pitch pointed out the fact that we run only AMERICAN - made trucks. I know now that I actually offended potental customers, and they selected other lawn care companies.

So now when I see an Acura SUV and a Mercedes in a garage, I NEVER tell them of my PROUD AMERICAN patriotism. sad, but true.

You all know the "yuppies" I'm talking about.
    They do not remember the millions of people the Nazi's burned.
    They don't remember Pearl Harbor or the Jap prison camps and their atrosities.

But you know what.....I really don't want "those people" as customers.

I sleep good at night knowing that my GMC & Chevy 2500 HD's will serve me well every day.

I just hope all of you feel the same way I do.

sorry this may have become "off subject".

Sincerely, Larry

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I think you'll be fine due to the fact the car is silver.

Just razzing ya a bit, wasn't sure how the color was relevant to the situation.

As long as your not using "the car" as the trailer you'll be fine and I don't think your customers will mind at all.

8. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Well, although I respect your patriotism...I am a little offended by how narrow minded you appear to be.

"Those people"...quite a comment. I have three vehicles...a 2500HD, Toyota Sienna, Honda Civic. I suppose I am one of "those people".

I've never understood the stance of "if you buy Toyota/Honda/etc you are supporting the ones who we fought in a war over HALF A CENTURY ago." I buy vehicles that serve the purpose I am needing. If the American made vehicles were as well made, then I would be buying them. I've had Fords, Chryslers, Honda's, Toyota's. I've had TERRIBLE luck with Ford. Chrysler was ok, on my first GM, first Honda, but I've had 5 Toyota's. They ahve served me well and never had a problem.

If they build great cars, it will force every manufacturer to build better vehicles.

Just my 2 cents...sorry to hijack the thread.

9. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Someone on this site once made an interesting point. In most cases, the customer is not going to see your equipment before they hire you. They respond to a flyer or whatever and then you go out there and look their property over and give them an estimate. You're not gonna bring you're whole rig for an estimate right? So you should be hired first and then they see your equipment and by that time it shouldn't matter. As for the impreza, I don't know how they're made now, but I had a 97 and the transmissions of that model year got tired easily from the all wheel drive. I would just keep a carefull eye on that transmission. Also, I found a beast of an F-150 4x4 in very good condition for an '89, especially cosmetically, for only $1500. Remember that there a lot of situations in this industry where you could seriously benefit from having a truck - from delivering mulch to removing trash from spring cleaning. Regardless of what your trailer can hold, your car can only tow so much so just keep that in mind. I decided to purchase a truck after thorough research into a similar question. Good luck

10. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

Sorry to hijack the thread again but i just had to throw my .02 in on this one...

Just who do you think you are judging people on what they drive..

It's narrow-minded neanderthals such as yourself that makes Western civilization hated by the rest of the world...

I am a proud owner of a Nissan Titan and proud to say that the truck and the driver could take anything you threw at it...Keep your idiotic banter out of this forum if you are going to be a stereotypical jerk....