A stupid question about mulch pricess

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dannyc33, Jul 28, 2003.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I've been in the lawncare business for 7 years now and for the most part been only doing lawn mowing. I bill at $60-65/hr. and It's been good for me. But I've been getting alot a requests to lay mulch. I searched around here and found alot of guys a charging about $35-50 a yard to lay mulch. I was wondering how to come up with the measurements and prices for the jobs. Does a "yard" mean a square yard, a cubic yard, a linear yard, or would a bag at ny store that cantains 2 cubic yards be considered 2 yards. I'm just confused, because getting $35-50 a yard, depending on the method,seams like a gold mine.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you kindly,
    Dan

2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Normally when talking about a "yard of mulch" it is a cubic yard.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I try to get $65/cu.yd which includes mulch and labor. Mulch costs me $12/yd and i charge $25/yd with $40 labor. a yd of mulch is a cubic yard, and the bags you talk about are 2 cu. ft each. To figure out the amount of mulch you will need just measure out the beds and find the area and a yd of mulch will cover 100 sq.ft at 3" depth. So basically just measure length x width and divide by 100. That will give you the number of cu. yds you will need.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Edging and any other prep work is extra besides charging X amount of dollars per cubic yard.

5. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get away with it use the mulch given away at landfills. The landfill here in Greenville gives it away and loads for free Thursday through Saturday. It's like the single ground but not as good as the bagged stuff. Use the link below for material calculations.

http://www.upstatemulch.com/material_calculator.htm

6. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

In my area good mulch costs me $30-40 yd. If I can apply it directly off the trailer, I charge double the price of the mulch for my labor and material. If it has to be wheel barrowed to the site I add another $25 per yard.
    If you want to keep your customers happy, DO NOT use free mulch from dumps. It is total junk. It is a combination of all the debris brought in to the dump and then ground together.

7. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Lombardi about the free mulch, but some customers around here like the rough look of the free stuff and some of them don't know I get free if you know what I mean.

8. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

After a large ice storm there was free mulch everywhere. I had customers request that I apply it for them, but after I explained what was in it and how bad it would look, not one of them wanted it.
    If I got the mulch for free, I would explain this to the customer. IMO it is not ethical to charge someone for material that you get free. You can still make a good profit just from your labor costs.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i pay $25-$30 for good mulch buy the yard
    $17-$20 if i buy a semi load 60-80 yards
    i charge 65-80 a yard instaled that includes light weeding and edging the beds
    if you are only instaling 2-3yds. at a job u have to charge more just to show up, i never tell a customer a per yard price only a total job price. if they are tire kickers and you tell them how many yards they need they can now do it them self.
    if you are instaling 20 or more yards give a discount per yard
    see if any local company blows mulch it is a huge time saver.payup

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Gee Lom, I grow alot of my own perennials for clients. Does that mean I have to give my plants away for free now?:D