A thread about edging.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Just starting into lawn care this spring (still winter here:confused: )

I've read in this forum for the last week or so and have the impression that edging seems to be part and parcel of lawn care.

I just don't see that (edging) around here in winnipeg but I could be wrong and I don't want to play games with local LCO's and try and squeeze info or bogus quotes out of them (that's just BS). Home Depot does sell edgers and I've seen one of my window cleaning customers edging her driveway with a spade but I've never seen a LCO do it and it's not even mentioned in their Yellow Page ads.

So, what do you think of me offering Edging as an extra? Like an upsell, 10 bucks a month or something.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely include it in your services.:canadaflag: :usflag:

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

We include it in my area. Helps to add that "quality" to your work.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

hardscapes are included in the price of he cut, not a add on... bed edging is different, and is an add on....

trimming and hardscape edging should be built into your price structure

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Edging walks and driveways is not typical in my area. We just clean them up a couple of times per year with trimmers. However, we get decent money for edging beds.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I just want to clarify this, if it was an extra (not all people would care, some just want there lawn cut at the cheapest price) I could reduce sticker shock, get the cheap skates, make money, give a higher level of service to customers willing to pay for extra services and make money there to.

I guess this is a manifestation of worry that I won't get enough customers. I also worry that I'll get too many.:cry:

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe there are parts of the country where edging isn't done by anyone?! Seems odd, pour a driveway or a sidewalk and then have grass growing over the top of it! Even fescue can totally envelop a sidewalk in a couple years time, if you have KBG, Bermuda, or zoysia you would never know there was concrete there in a year!

I'm even in a smaller town here and everyone edges, weather you use a real steel blade edger (stick or push) or just use a string trimmer flipped upside down... Any lawn, even a weed farm, can look 100% better if it's all edged nice!

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My .02 is edge the properties. Does not take that much longer. Especially, once you learn how to do it well. It does make a difference in appearence. Charge extra if the edge is overun or you have to create an edge or you are edging out beds. Include it with your everday cut. JMO

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

sell your service, not your price, or you are doomed....... to dealing with every pita there is...... i edge every lawn.... no one else does it here, but i do , and you can see my yards from a mile away... quality, quality quality... not price price price.....
    :)

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

There ya go! What Dave said. That is very important to remember. Think of it as your name is tagged to every lawn you do. What do you want people to think???