A tip for running doubles in leaves.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Nov 8, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Messed around today with some different double combos and found something interesting. A standard medium lift "20.5" on top and a "16" gator on bottom gave me some serious mulched leaves with little blowout on my "60" Laser Z. Seemed to work better than two blades of equal size. Hope this makes cleanups a bit easier.
  2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Charlie was this with a Exmark mulch kit installed, side discharge or with a ocdc installed and in the down position?

Thanks I will have to try it with side discharging
  3. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Side discharging.
  4. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Bingo (he he he)
    Y0ou learnd another secret us smarties know. fyi, i use doubles with 2 differnt style mulchers. one has the twist pointin in an the other has the twist pointin out. great mulching
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm running a straight set of blades (60") and a mulching set of blades (50") on top. Its works as good or better than double 60"s and saves a few pounds of steel spinning around to bog down the electric clutch.
  6. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

I am running high lifts on the bottom and gators on top. I have tried everything under the deck, and this works well. I am using a Gravely 252Z with 27 HP. The spindles are designed for doubles, which helps. I run 'em year 'round. Cuts my mowing time down at least 25%.
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, Charlie, but if you are side-discharging, you ain't mulching... you are just mowing. Mulching occurs when you have a mulching kit installed or if you have an OCDC in the down position.

Using a smaller Gator as a top or bottom blade is useless. When using a smaller blade, you lose the advantage of a second set of blade tips to chew up the leaves.

To lessen blow-out, try using Gators on both the top and bottom. Also, a skirt around the front of the deck made from vinyl (baseboard) helps reduce blow out when using doubles. I make mine hang down 1.75".
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never had great luck with running doubles with leaves. Just seemed to drain the HP a lot
  9. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

I ran double gators a month ago. They were terrible about lifting grass before cutting. Too much blow by. I bought a set of smaller mulching style blades and all they did was zip. Double high lifts tended to blow more topsoil out than grass(I put these on during a severe drought). One gator and an excalibur blade from Exmark doubled worked just great.
  10. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

sounds like if you run doubles, don't you worry about balance on the spindle.
    And how do you set one up to run double blades anyways?