A tire vermicomposter

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jun 28, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I got an idea... I keep seeing these vermicomposters with different layers, looked at one and basically it consists of a tower with a screen on the bottom with a "compartment" underneath for the bed/droppings. Other than that it is food on top for them to eat. So... why not stack a couple of tires put a screen between the bottom 1 and 2. The bottom would have the bed and the top few tires would be for the food. Then when your ready to clean it or whatever you do you just take them apart.

What do you think?

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I would drill holes in each bottom sidewall for drainage. I don't know about composting in rubber containers but rubber mulch is reported to leach high enough zinc levels to do harm to some plantings. I read that once online but don't know it's validity. Now, I mention that wondering if there is a chance of it leaching out of the tires into the compost. Could that zinc, if it really is an issue, be harmful to the worms???

3. DeepGreenLawn

hmmmm, maybe there could be an easy way to seal it or wrap it... good point though.

I just finished my first screen, it is made out of an old art frame I found in the barn and some chicken wire(?). I bought the chicken wire from HD and some tacks, staples weren't holding it too well. All together it cost me about a $10. I am getting better at finding and searching for scrap though.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

the zinc is cumming of the steel cords it the tire there galvanized with the zinc. don't cut the tire and there's no zinc.

I love those worm towers that i see at shows, they come with a 1/4 pound of worms.

any thing more than that and there choked. if you want a good starter worm box try a tub tote, truck box, or hay bales and some mulch on the floor in the garage or shop. they wont leave if theres light all the time.

5. DeepGreenLawn

I was wanting a tower, and it would be easy pickings from all ranges of sizes. So the tires would generally be safe? I like the idea if you think it is feasible/ worth the time. then just take some of these shavings from the farm for a bed and your good to go right? Along with a screen and food ofcourse. The castings will be down with the bedding correct? so the rest should be clean of food?

6. DeepGreenLawn

If I were to build a BIG boxed vermicomposter like we had talked about earlier, a while back, I would just have a slide out drawer for the castings? Then hand pick the worms out or I guess you could have a removeable bottom with a screen.

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

8. DeepGreenLawn

I will be happy with the tires for now, maybe some big ole tractor tires down the road. Figured that would be good for then environment too. How do you harvest the castings with something like this? You know, get the castings but not the worms?