1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A ton???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by foggyjr5, Apr 4, 2006.

1. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

How much does a ton of dirt cover? I have no clue how much it would cover. Thanks

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

ask your supplier how many cu yds a ton of dirt is or buy it by the cu yd. Remember there are 27 cu ft in a cu yd.

3. dccarling

dccarling LawnSite Member

A cubic yard of dirt weight is ~2700-3000 lbs.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I always went by a tandem load of topsoil 20 ton to cover 4" per 1000 sq' so divide it down for 1 ton
    mike

5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

it will cover the area you dump it at. or you can spread it out and it will cover a bigger area. or you can spread it out more and it will cover an even bigger area than that.
    or :
    (sq ft x .08 (per inch of depth) /27 = # of yards needed).
    as stated above a yard is about 1.5 tons approximatly. so you can figure the amount of yards needed to cover the area in question at the required depth and then figure out the tons.

6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Only in America:usflag:

7. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

Well I don't need to just cover up existing ground i actually need to level about a 18x20 hill. I was going to put rock on one side and make a hill over the ground. in order to get it about level i would need to bring up one side about 2 1/2 feet.

8. Mike33

Have you ever done any excavating or landscaping before?

9. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

what the hell are are you doing ,and what kind of dirt are you talking about.:confused:

10. Mike33

Thats got to be the second most domb ass thing ive seen on this site. Maybe he should tie up with the guy building the fence out of wood pallets.
    mike