A Tool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Dec 23, 2002.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any one have a problem with Craftsman rakes i have broke 5 within 2 weeks is there any other brands that don't break as much and have a lifetime warranty?

2. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

5 in two weeks??? Man, you are hard on those things.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

No i'm just normal it's the cheap imported termit infected wood that is horrible!

4. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Quit leaning on them and get to work! (LOL):D

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I got mine at Home Depot for about $17 (I think). They are the wide plastic ones with yellow handles. Ya know, I can't even remember what the handle is made of, just know it's yellow.
    I have two and have had them for the last 2 seasons. No breaking yet.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I gave up on Craftsman tools a long time ago. Mostly hand tools for mechanical work. Everybody brags about their lifetime warranty. The problem is they would break everyday, and I really have better things to do than chase to the store to get them warrantied. So I pretty much haven't stepped foot in a Sears store in 15 years, nor do I have the desire to.
    I have found Wolverine tools to be pretty durable.
    Midwest rake is excellent also. With any leaf rake you really need to be a little careful. That's a large rake face delivering alot of force to a pretty thin handle. I know there are better than what you have though. I have only broke one leaf rake handle in two years. Actually those are rakes from a Fleet Farm store anyways. I don't know if you have any of those stores near you or not.

Otherwise here are the rake sites I talked about. Get some literature from them.

www.midwestrake.com

www.surelocedging.com
    Wolverine is a division of SureLoc.

7. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

For a great rake, or any other large tool for that matter, use razorbacks. THey're a little more expensive, but are incredibly hard to break.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

RAKE! What rake. mine has dust on it. Get a good backblower and your rake will sit.

9. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

Dude, Have you looked outside lately? You must be raking snow or blowing smoke up my a** because the leaves in my part of town are under snow or been froze down since thanksgiving. Second of all, what are you using a rake for in this day and age. You need a good blower, then you wouldn't need a rake.

scott

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Can't speak for original poster, but I for one use the rakes to feed the pile to the vac hose. Or to get a pile onto a tarp to be dragged through a gate to the front yard.
    But I don't "rake" the lawn, yikes!. I have blisters on my hands just thinking about it.