A topic Ive been thinking a lot about

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an 8 year old son, who has been begging me to take him to work with me for a day or two this summer. I have thought a lot about letting him come hang out for a day, and giving him some small task to do, to see what Daddy does for a living. All of my family seem to think its a good idea, to teach him the value of a hard days work.

Heres the problem though. I never, ever want my children to have to do this for a living. He could make a good living some day doing this. I certainly feel I have. But I want so much more for him than to be a second generation lawn boy. When I was 15 I started doing this. I immediately saw the income potential in this business. After one year of college at the age of 19 I dropped out to do this full time. It was a great decision for me. But I just dont want that for him. Im afraid if he starts to get into this kind of work, he will never finish college, and take the easy road to a life in hard labor.

I realize he is only 8. Like I said he would end up just hanging out in the truck but, I really dont want him heading down the road of being my heir apparent in this business.

So here is my question. How do you feel about your children doing this for a living one day? Am I wrong for not wanting him to follow in my footsteps?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Loosen up dad,he won't be harmed for life.
    It'll be a good "male bonding" day.
    LOL!

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing lawns since I was 9 years old. I enjoy it, but it is a tough way to make a living. I come from a white collar family, and my parents never discouraged me from doing this. They insisted that I get my college degree, and then I could do what I choose.

There is nothing wrong with teaching your son the business and the rewards that hard work can bring. Who knows, it may teach him that he doesn't want to do this for a living and he can pursue other things! Hey, there definitely worse careers out there. Good luck

4. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I know of many people who do 'physical' work for a living that have children who fell away from the tree. However, having your child learn about the business, which is a heck of a lot more than striping a yard, can only reap him great rewards later in life.

5. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

LawnDog, I have an 11 year old that hates the thought of going out and working with me. Even though at times and not often, I do make him go and earn some money on his own. He states that he would never want to do this type of work. He wants to be a police officer. Which at this point I have told him over and over that the important thing is to make a career out of something you truly have a passion for. There are way to many unhappy individuals in this world who are stuck in a career they despise but are to afraid or can't get out. I have told my son though that as he begins driving he will see that he can make more with me in a couple of evenings then he could in an entire week at many other places. Good luck!

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have taken mine for a day of mulch work at the pre-schools I do. They play and I work. they love it, plus they have a good time and the wife gets a break.

Tim

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

At 8 years old, I don't think a "fun" day with his Dad is going to determine what he does for the rest of his life. Besides, alot of kids end up exactly the opposite of their parents in many ways just by the nature of life. I wouldn't fret about it.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

wow now that you said that it just hit me, that its very true for my family. that makes so much sense. my father is a school system superintendent and mom is a secretary. and here i am with my co. working out doors. wow, that statement you made makes alot of sense.

9. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I've been cutting lawns since I was eight years old. I worked full-time, cut lawns and did a lot of woodworking to pay my own way through a Bachelor's Degree in Business @ IU. After spending (10) years in the accounting field and learning all aspects of business, management and administration, I am running a very successful lawn company in it's third full-time year. We have recently opened up our grading division and supplement each division with a construction division. Hard work is the key to success and with proper direction, there's time to incorporate a degree amongst the hard work.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so what would you like to see him do? you don't want him to be his own boss, make his own hours, pick and choose who he works for, get 3 months off a year, determine his own income by building and expanding, have great health , etc.....if not all this, then what do you want him to do?