A totally new question. Speeding in neighborhoods?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, May 20, 2004.

Do you speed?

1. I stay at or below the limit

27 vote(s)
  2. I go a maximum of 5 mph over

14 vote(s)
  3. I pay no attention to the signs, I gotta get there

5 vote(s)
  1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In my area speeding and other traffic infractions are getting out of hand. Most of our streets are posted 30 mph with the highest being 40 mph. Even with the threat of double fines people still scream through the local school zone at 10 and 20 mph over the speed limit. We have one traffic light. It is not unusual for 3, 4 and 5 cars to go through this light after it has turned green for the opposing direction.

So my question is this: Are you obeying all of the traffic laws in your community or the communities that you visit? If you're not than what do you consider a safe speed to travel? 5, 10 or 15 over the posted speed? Do you actually come to a complete stop at the stop signs or is it a rolling stop?

My route is short and tight. I do not feel a pressing need to get to any of my customer's houses because they are all very close together and I don't have any employees sucking up windshield time. I think that I pretty much follow all of the rules about 95% of the time. I am the guy that you see going down the road with 10 cars stacked up behind him.
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

This is a no brainer. As professionals and adults we should set an example and drive right.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I Agree we arer professionals and operate a business. But t5he people that live there or just going through, they fly. It is really dangerour sometimes.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

As heavy as that beast is, I don't dare speed 'cause it aint gonna stop on a dime. Another reason I take my time behind the wheel is that my truck isn't exactly new and I try to baby it so it'll last a bit longer.
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm tearing around town and speeding and running red lights thats going to reflect badly on my business and myself. I spent too much time building up my name to have it all wiped out because I hit a kid on a cross walk or cut off to many slow grandmas.

The best part is catching up with all those crazy drivers at the next light or stop sign.
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

One BIG point we're over looking.........most of us have our NAMES and PHONE NUMBERS plastered on our trucks and trailers. Speeding or other infractions witnessed by the police or existing and potential customers isn't the best way to advertise. That costs us business and really projects a bad image.

We've got to be professional on the roads, as well as on the lawns.
  7. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

Speed limits are posted because that is the safest speed. Not only for the driver but for other drivers and ped's. As an Officer I have worked severl auto ped accidents and the auto usually wins. I sure would have to try an insurance policy because I ran over somone.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i definitely stay at or below the limit as traffic dictates it. the only time i might squeeze thru an intersection is if the timing of the light is so that i can't safely stop and control the truck and trailer.
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

same here.... nicely put