1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A truck question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DPruett2333, Nov 5, 2003.

1. DPruett2333

DPruett2333 LawnSite Member

I'm kind of in the middle on what to do concerning a truck...My grandpa said that it would be a hassle unhooking and hooking the tralier all the time, when I want to go somewhere without it. What do you guys think? If it wouldn't be that much of a hassle, I could sell my car and get a higher priced, nicer truck...Any thoughts?
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Just back up and hook up. Might take a couple of tries to get used to, but not a hassle here. :cool:
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

they grow on you, eventually they're not even there... until you hit something :)
  4. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

It's a nice way to leave your work behind. Unhooking the trailer is the true sign that the day is (almost) over! I personally recommend an enclosed model - that way when you UNhook, you are already "put away".
  5. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

What are you doing now for moving your lawn equip? I think that a trailer would be easier then just a truck, as many of the trailers have a ramp built in to the back gate. Just make sure that you can keep it locked up so someone can not steal it off of your truck or when it is parked by the house...espically when it is loaded up with the equip. That would be a day that you would remember, and not because it was good.
  6. DPruett2333

we haul everything around in a trailer. What I am asking is, if it's hard and tedious to hook and unhook the trailer all of the time, I will get a $2,000+ and just leave it hooked up to the trailer. If it's easy to hook and unhook the trailer, i'll sell my car and get a $7,000+ truck and use it for mowing and personal use...
  7. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

I see, I guess that it is up to you. what kind of a car do you currently have, what is the MPG, consider the additional gas for the truck, and insurance cost or insuring 2 vehicles, the additional space of another vehicle to park, and do you want to be driving a truck all the time.

If you do get a nicer truck and sell the car, however, I would really think hard about getting an extended cab as there will eventually be a time that you want to lock up something in the cab and still be able to have a passenger. To answer the quesion about hooking/unhooking though...once you get the hang of it, it will be no sweat. It will take you 2 to 5 minutes by the time you back up lock the hitch and connect the lights. Good luck in you decision. Hope that I helped with your decision
  8. DPruett2333

Yah, your post did help shed some insight! Thanks a lot!
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The trailer hookup/unhookup is a hassle, but you'll get over it. Grandpa is right, but that's just part of the big picture.
    Guessing you'll be much happier with a truck if you're staying in this biz. Trucks are so much more than just a vehicle, they're a swiss knife of vehicles, can be utilized in so many ways.
    Or, take camping.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Clewsew gave you some sound advise to consider - there's also extra upkeep on an old beater. Personally, I'd go for the nice truck. 9/10 times I can back right up and end up with the ball squarely under the hitch on the first try using my mirrors. I think you'll get the hang of it too.