A true non-stick deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Apr 24, 2005.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

With all the talk of scraping decks and applying all the different stuff to the deck to make non-stick, I must say that if a mower mfg. ever came out with a true non-stick deck I would buy this mower in a heartbeat. Scraping the decks is very time consuming, nasty and a constant evil. I know that some mfg. folks are on this site and these guys do an awesome job listening to voices from the field to take back to their R&D depts. It just seems like something as simple as a non-stick deck shouldn't be that hard to come up with. Thoughts?

Thanks,

BAMARED

2. NEAL ANDREWS

NEAL ANDREWS LawnSite Member

You Have My Go Ahead, Soon As You Come Up With One Let Me Know.ill Take One.

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a John Deere L110, a homeowner model with a stamped deck. While this is not a good mower overall, the deck just does not accumulate clippings like my eXmark TTHP or Metro, which are overall superior mowers.

I suspect stamped decks are better at shedding clippings than fabricated decks. I use Mo Deck and still, the springtime cra* piles on.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I rarely have to clean my 7 Iron JD deck, they have to be the best self cleaning decks around, never have a problem of grass turds, and when I go to change blades I figure to scrape, Its very rare to find anything to scrape.
    I love that stamped deck. ( no paint left on underside, just well designed) :D

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Haven't used a 7 iron deck but if they stay as clean as everyone is touting then they are worth a look. The 60 inch under the old JD 430 we had at work shot grass turds all the time and we cleaned that deck constantly. Was time consuming as already stated but unfortunately was part of the routine maintence.

6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

A nice coating of silicone spray will help a lil in the non stick area.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, the yellow decks pack full of grass. Buy a unit with the 7 Iron and no scraping.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never scraped my 7 Iron deck. Best design on the market, no grass clumps either.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

every now & then when changing blades I knock a little off, but I really don't dare scape, I figure whatever it is that keeps it from packing and holding grass, I don't want to screw it up by scraping the underside then find out it starts sticking because of my scraping. :D
    then again how could it hold clumps the way it throws the clippings 10 to 20 foot out the shoot.

10. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

What makes JD's 7 iron deck so good with sticking grass? Design I assume?

Thanks,

BAMARED