A type of union for the Green industry?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nobagger, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Gas stations post their prices for everyone to see. Do you?
  2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

We just had an investigation into this and the Government said they found no colusion between gas companies. Mind you the government takes more tax when the price goes up. Like said in the previous post, prices are posted on the sign, one gas station may go up before the other but the second one doesn't have to go up if it doesn't want to.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

DK yeah I didn't mean a "union union" hell I belong to one and they are usless, but yes an association of some type.
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as I knew everyone already does. Do some states not require it?
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yes Packer, but I meant become licensed for treatments to even run a mower of any size on someone elses lawn.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

See thats not how it is here, one goes up they all go up except Wal Mart. Wal Mart is always .02 below every other station and you bet the other stations complain about Wal Mart. Wal Mart isn't keeping up with the local petroleum association blah blah. The other day we had 2 gas stations that were on the same street both run out of gas and deisel fuel(at the same time, yeh right), guess what all the other staions in the area did, you guessed it, raised the prices .10 a gallon.
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

It's kinda funny - here in WA you have to pass a test and be licensed with the state to cut hair but anyone can run around someone else's property with all kinds of potentially dangerous lawn equipment and no one seems to care.
  8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

dkgiesla said "Gas stations post their prices for everyone to see. Do you?"

What the h@ll does that have to do with anything? Just makes it EASIER for all the gas stations to keep their prices the SAME!

You can't tell me that ALL gas companies have EXACTLY the same overhead/expenses. Some get their gas from foreign sources, ship it THOUSANDS OF MILES across ocean on a boat AND COINCIDENTALLY it is the EXACT SAME PRICE as the companies that use domestic production???

PLEASE. Get real!

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What you've explained is the simple rules of supply and demand. If they can get it and people are dumb enough to pay it then so be it. We have a gas station charging $2.46 for reg. up the street and down a block the other direction they're charging $2.29. Refineries are part of the problem with gas as is OPEC. A cartel that does meet to set production limits and is thereby controlling the price of fuel. Americans won't buy more fuel efficeint cars and there are more cars on the road everyday, so demand has gone up and supply is not increasing, thus higher prices. Even if you start an association there are too many ways for peole to get in against you.How can you possibly expect to police it? Wouldn't be cost effective to try and regulate it.
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Arrrrrrg! No! What are you saying?? The only thing that could be worse than unions would be more government BS.

Define "over regulate". Ask 10 people, get 15 answers. NO.
    No unions either, because then , we'd have to change the scrub posts to "scabs", and the customers would hire the scabs because they're cheaper (no union dues, etc).