1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A Vacancy In The Industry

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mmrunyan1, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

What is "standard" service really seems to vary by area. Maybe look at websites of some of the other landscapers in your area? You should get a better idea that way.

For what it's worth, we mow, edge, blow, treat weeds, fertilize grass as part of a year round program. Everything else- pruning, tilling, annuals, irrigation monitoring, water feature maintenance, etc is extra.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Some things are flat out wags. You have to learn production rates for various jobs. Charles Vander Kooi has some good books on this subject and even a small book with many production rates listed. Other people here will recommend other books. They are a good starting spot but you will find that your own experiance will trumpt these.

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I don't understand your question. I have the same mind set for a 1/3 ac lot with a 50 yr old home on it as I do a $850,000 home with $100,000 in landscape. I even have a retirement home village that I do for $20 a visit. 12 homes @ 2 1/2 hrs. So, I don't know.

4. mmrunyan1

mmrunyan1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice and tips. You have been very helpful! Keep it coming folks.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You think you have low ball pressure.

look at this guy.

He sends out post cards into my market several times a year too.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say this must be related to your location.

I would say most of my lawns are small to average size lawns. I pretty much do residential lawns. offering anything from full service to just mow, trim, blow and go.

most of the lawns in my neck of the woods are small to average size in the first place. usually the large stuff is commercial properties. so you can't really make a niche out of doing small to average size properties as most LCO's have these sizes.

7. mmrunyan1

mmrunyan1 LawnSite Member

Yeah, it does seem to be a simple lack of smaller operations in this area. We are a community of several small towns. Some seem to have large and small companies, others seem to be more oriented toward commercial properties. So, as the small guy (which I have been before) I have no problem with either view. Personally, I plan to remain primarily geared toward smaller jobs with full services at reasonable and competitive prices. No undercutting. Just fair pay for exceptional work. Guess that's just the small town boy in me.