A Van?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DadsLawnCareInc, May 16, 2006.

1. DadsLawnCareInc

DadsLawnCareInc LawnSite Member

The other day, I saw this 20ish fellow using a full size van for his Lawn Care Biz. What do you guys think about that? I have a three trucks and two trailers, I never thought about using a van.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

work vans have tons of power and you can throw expensive tools in the back. some people around here work out of a Large van, no trailer needed.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I seen a bread truck and a 3 ton moving vehicle both being used for lawn care. I also seen a full sized walk-in in self enclosed trailer. It looked like the circus came to town.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I use my bucket van (see sig)...

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

They work well

6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

When I was a sheetmetal worker I worked out of a 3/4 ton truck most of the time but when I went from installs to a service tech I was put in a 3/4 ton van. The van has alot of advantages over a truck such as if you stop somewhere for lunch or parts it is harder for stuff to walk out of the back of your truck, rain don't get tools wet and cause them to rust or with sesitive test euipment that you don't want to get wet it keeps it dry, drawers built under a load platform to hold parts and such, shelves, and so on. It had lots of storage but not much cargo space for big items.
    Disadvantages were it was harder to load more awkward items in it, you had to crawl in and out of it, once it was all packed in you really hoped what you needed now isn't under or behind everythng, and if you had somethgin that really stuck you had to take with you it was in the same airspace as you, and you had to listen to stuff rattle around.

I can't see as it being a big plus for lawncare service but then again I've never tried it.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in your shoes several years ago....until I finally bought my first Van. Chevy 3500. I cannot imagine being without one now. Tools are in the dry and I have storage bins for organizing irrigation parts.

8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

You just brought back memories from the early days. We had a '74 chevy van, we would put two "52 scags and a 21 handmower plus trimmers and blowers. Now the van we have is for fert and squirt but can still throw a 52 w/b in behind the weed spray tank.Now we use '14 box trucks similar to SLT's for mowing.

9. guven

guven LawnSite Member

you are so funny , you made me laugh.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The stereotype that a lawnguy has to have a truck is a mindset, I think it holds many back from thinking outside of the box.

With American vans or trucks it is the same motor and transmission per type (so like F-250 or D-250 or 2500's van or truck is the same thing under the hood) so it really makes no difference except:

Vans keep all your equipment out of the rain and you can lock it up.
    Trucks are always open so it is easier to get stuff out and put back.