A very elementary ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim Wright, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple of new contracts that I am getting into for this season.

They include mulching in the spring. Here comes the question;

Before we put new mulch down, is it common practice to remove the old mulch, then edge, and put down new mulch, or do you just go overtop of the old mulch?

Thank you

Tim

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

On top of the new after you edge. If there are a lot of leaves, remove those at additional cost.

What I recommend is to take a tiller and till the mulch into the soil. The mulch will act as compost and with clay soils around here it is very important and rairly practiced. Breaks down the clay, improves root growth, establishes topsoil etc.

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you.

I was thinking of taking most of it off and starting composting.

Tim

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We have always just edged and gone over the old stuff. We did get a call once to remove the old stuff first but it was well over 15yrds of mulch and he didnt like my price.....oh well.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How thick are you putting your mulch?

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You can put new mulch over the old as long as the total mulch depth is not more than 3". Too much mulch can cause problems. Roots may start to grow in the mulch which will dry out long before the soil. Excessive mulch depth can cause the mulch to become hydrophobic (water can't penetrate the mulch)