1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

A very tragic accident.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IHI, Mar 8, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

I'm not sure where this post should go. But this is a very sad/tragic accident that occurred close to my area. http://www.reporterherald.com

They were loading a bobcat onto a rollback truck to be transported.

Be careful out there!

2. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

bummer .. i knew a guy that was killed while working on his dump truck. he had the tailgate held up by a 2x4 while he was working on the dump bed the
    2x4 slipped and the tailgate crushed his head

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Why would the bucket fall just if the engine was shut off? Unless he moved a lever after the tractor was shut off, i wouldn't see why it would just fall. I'm not too knowledgeable about tractors but, this is based on my experience with them.

btw, this thread would probably be better if moved to the equipment forum

4. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

mcw
    Those were my same questions too. Just speculation: Unless the person inside the bobcat accidentally stepped on the pedal that controlled the bucket? Either way, a very somber day for his family, friends and the person in the Bobcat.

5. smalley360

smalley360 LawnSite Member

I take it by the photo that the hydraulic line did not fail since the pic shows the bucket up in the air. I have to put a safety bar on my dump bed trailer. I'm surprised that the trailer company does not have to put safety support bars on their trailers prior to sale. This might make another good thread if there was not one already on this subject. I will do a search.

My main trade I am a Paramedic. About 6 months ago I went to a call which a guy was working on his Bobcat with the ROPS up (i think holding it up by hand) and it fell onto his head giving him a large deep laceration to his head and a mild concussion. He was very lucky considering what happened to this guy. It's a shame, very sad. All yall keep safe!!!!!!!!!!