A. W. Landscapers, Inc. - Equipment & Work

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by A. W. Landscapers Inc., Nov 21, 2013.

1. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you very much. I try to look at everything and ask myself, "how can I make this process more efficient/more profitable without sacrificing quality?" It's one of the many aspects of business management that I really enjoy. I love creating systems and uncovering ways to improve existing systems and then implementing the changes and seeing the results.

One process that I hope to improve at some point is refueling. I considered doing this when I initially set up the trailer but I couldn't justify the expense this early on and I'm still not 100% positive that this will be the best solution. Right now, I find it too time consuming and way too much physical work to unload empty gas cans, fill them up at the pump, carry the heavy cans back onto the trailer, store them on the shelf, take them off the shelf, fill the mowers and put the can back on the shelf. The idea I have is to install a storage tank inside the trailer that can be filled from the exterior and then when gas is needed I pump the gas from the tank directly into the mowers. I also thought about piping off of the main tank through a oneway valve to a secondary tank that I can add 2-cycle oil to and pump from that tank to the edgers, trimmers, etc.

Anyway, that's just one idea I have been kicking around as a possible process improvement.

Here are a few more woodworking photos for you…

Copy of Marblewood Hall Table056.jpg

Copy of scan0001.jpg

IMG_2751c.jpg

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

Thank you very much. I power carved the edges to bring out more details and to add visual interest…the edge is completely freeform.

3. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

This attitude brings up the image of the whole industry, no matter the profession.

Sloppy LCOs wouldn't believe the amount of extra work (and free meals) I get off my personal and equipment appearance. I made over $1K in detailing vehicles in Sept, alone. I have a steady base of those as well as odd jobs. I keep quite few hand tools onboard for the quick stuff. I'd rather spend part of a day cleaning up a vehicle, with minimal material investment and no stress, than fighting for a bunch of low pay mowing just to have the day occupied, burning fuel and equipment hours.

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

6. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

I am a woodshop teacher so this is a coincidence haha. I did want to ask your opinion on your trimmers. I mow six yards and am picking up a 100-125 stone cemetery. Do you think the fs55 or the 90 would be the best option? I have no experience with the 4 mix engine.

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. I find it intriguing. Furthermore, it's your thread to do with whatever you want.

8. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

I don't "buy" work…doesn't matter if it is mowing lawns, installing mulch, woodworking, pressure washing, cleaning gutters, installing cabinetry, repairing sheetrock, installing tile...if it isn't profitable work it is a waste of my time and resources. There is a lot of work out there for people like us who present a professional appearance and provide our clients with a reliable and trusted source for quality work. I like being the guy my clients can rely on for all their home improvement and repair needs. When my clients have projects, I want my name to be the first and only name on their list of people to call.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you got into doing vehicle detailing and how you market that service.

9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

I like the 90…right now the 55 is just there as a backup.

I pretty tall (about 6' 1") so for me the handlebar and the harness are a must…if you've never tried it, you won't believe what a difference these to accessories make…so much more comfortable and easier to handle. If you trim for more than 2 minutes at a time, it's worth it.

10. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

By the way, thanks for being a woodshop teacher and keeping our craft alive.