A. W. Landscapers, Inc. - Equipment & Work

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by A. W. Landscapers Inc., Nov 21, 2013.

1. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jersey

Everything looks great. I am curious as to what type of fasteners you used (or Ducat and anyone else used)to secure to the sides. I have been using a self tapping, fine thread, sheet metal screws, that came with the racks I bought from Rack'em. The style that has fluting somewhat similar to a drill bit at the point and 6 years/15,000 miles later some are starting to become loose. I have mine screwed into the structural U-channel that supports the sides and roof. It looks like you used horizontal strapping. I also saw you post recommending some books on a different thread and will pick a couple up for some winter reading. Thank you.
  2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I used the same screws.
  3. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jersey

Roughly how many miles on your trailer. I drive paved streets 90% at 25 miles an hour. The trailer doesn't bounce around much. I am thinking of going one size up on the screw in the existing hole or drill another hole & relocate the rack.
  4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Not many. I just got it, July '13.

The rack system I have and what hangs from it is not very heavy. Weight was one of the reasons I didn't go with a dedicated rack, like Green Touch offer. My tracks are double-screwed with #12 (I think) screws. I have the torsion suspension and radial tires. The trailer rides really well and doesn't bounce or shudder. This is one of the reasons I harp to trailer buyers to get a torsion suspension. They don't transfer vibration to the trailer and its contents. Also, I always spin-balance my trailer tires. The vibration from unbalanced tires will beat a trailer to death.
  5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Some spots I used the wall anchors that came with the Tornado hooks. The other fasteners I used were Teks self-tapping #12 x 2" (this was the most used), Teks self-tapping #10 x 1 7/16", Teks lath screws#8 x 1 1/4".
  6. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got the trailer in October so it has low milage.

If I was you, I'd try to relocate the rack.
  7. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I just upgraded to an enclosed also. When I hung my racks I used self tapping metal screws too. Cordless impact gun and a 5/16 socket, they go right in to the metal studs and rafters on the trailer skeleton.
  8. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Contrary to popular belief there are a lot of ways and systems offered that will hang equipment safely and efficiently. Sometimes you just have to get creative... There are some overpriced systems that tend to be popular but go by your local hardware or big box store and look around... You will be surprised...
  9. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  10. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

AW, the rig is inspiring. As a solo operator, why plural on Landscapers? Are you hiring soon?