a wacky thought

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mark B, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Aight as I sit here watching TV having a few #9s. Have anyone of you pros ever wanted to light up the inside of your home? I'm thinking about uplighting the corners, fireplace, etc...

I'm assuming that the fixtures that we use outdoors cannot be used inside. I know you can use the LV track lighting. But i"m thinking about other types of fixtures.

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

It's your home. Do with it what you will. As long as you feel safe, then you don't have a problem. If you wanna talk code, then that's another story.
    By the way, what's a #9?

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Recessed can lighting seems to be the big thing right now. It seems to free up a ton of floor space but to me it just doesn't seem right. Maybe I'm just so use to laps. But it's your drywall that your tearing up

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your local bar and look for a magic hat #9. You might find it in the grocery store.

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I don't know about up-lighting, but I thought about lv tracks. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE EASIEST WAY TO GO. I HATE when my pinky bumps the caps lock and right now I'm just gonna leave it and make you think I was emphasizing/yelling (I do this all the time on my lap top).

Here's an idea I thought for a builders' show that might be cool inside: Get a large potted plant and stick an MR 8 or LED in there, or down-light it.

Here's my question I'll throw out there, do we use the same stuff, or do we buy "indoor" transformers, etc.? I'd love to pick up a book on the topic. James is the indoor lv expert, maybe he will shed some light.

I don't know what a #9 is, but I thought for certain Chris J. would've known. Bit disappointed. I'll bet Billy knows, and maybe Dave.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to be putting in some LED cove lighting into my house.

7. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

1: Interior uplighting is the one of the hottest trends going. In new construction we do it with in-floor fixtures. like recessed "pot lights" but designed for the in floor application. Essentially "walk over" fixtures. See Martini Lighting or Delta Light for some of the best

If you are retrofitting it is even easier. Go to HD or Lowes or wherever and in the lighting section will find small floor cylinders that take either PAR20 or GU10 Lamps. About $15 each + Lamp. Place them in corners, behind plants, furnishings, etc etc. Very dramatic and great for added depth and drama.

Kiril... watch what you buy for LED cove lighting product. There is a LOT of junk on the market. Colour Rendition can be brutal in those product lines and you really have to watch your approvals for the SE Asia built product. Stay away from any "rope type" LED linear lighting. I would recommend that you stay away from sealed LED linear product as it is not serviceable. Instead I would use BriteStrip by Magic Lite and opt for their LED Festoon lamps in warm white.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike. There are a whole host of specialty transformers for interior use. From the most simple (Marcus) to very nice multi-tap, torroidal core, etc etc from Q-Tran. Some of the nicest track systems use remote transformers because it keeps the size of the track heads to a minimum. But, you have to have an appropriate place to mount the transformer fairly close to the track system for it to be effective. In retrofit applications, it is usually best to go with integral ballasted track heads.

Regards.