1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A weed and not a weed - Nimblewill and Yucca

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jlhuber, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jlhuber

jlhuber LawnSite Member

Help! I have nimblewill and yucca. How can I totally remove? Let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

1. Nimblewill - is beginning to take over my side lawn, so I am in the process of removing the weed and looking to re seeding the area. I used a non-selective herbicide Weed-b-gone in two applications about 10 days apart. It appeared to work. That is, the whole area is brown. But I wonder if I need to do more. A few days ago I began tracing a "dead" runner and found it intricately connected to several others below the surface. I followed it until the end, which was about 6" below the surface. My questions are:
    should I now till the area? should I use a sod machine to dig down and remove the whole top layer? or, should I till and use a 3rd dose of Weed-b-gone - just to be sure? or, is there something else I need to do? Thanks.

2. Yucca - a few years ago my dear wife found some free plants at a nursery that was going out of business. 3 yucca plants were among them. Since my neighbor had a couple, I thought that this was a good deal. Well! I have heard that the roots can dig down to 72"!!!! Last year I tried to remove one - I dug and dug, down about 2 feet. It did nothing but break up the roots that were there giving the one plant more opportunities to sprout up from the root pieces. I just went through the same process and want to know if I should pour Weed-b-gone or something else into the hole? (I think it needs a slow drip IV of something deadly, at least, that's what Dr. K told me)

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
  2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I can try and help with the nimblewill. I don't think you need a 3rd dose of Weed B Gone, but tilling will def. help. One thing about nimblewill is it doesn't handle tilling well with it's weak root system. For people where tilling is not an option, Round Up or scalp and try and out-compete with desirable turf. That weed is such a PITA. I read there will be a nimblewill selective product on the market within a few years. If it's true, that product will be in high demand.
  3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Yucca plant...You have to get all the roots. They are very hardy plants.

Hard to get rid of.
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you used weed-b-gone you may need to wait several weeks before re-seeding. if you spray it again I would use round-up, you will get a more complete kill and no waiting to reseed. you could use round-up on the yucca too! I would follow the directions for killing tree roots, I believe you pour it in slices or drilled holes full strength.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

roundup will not kill yucca very well it takes a few tries
  6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

i dug out my yucca with a backhoe and it was back the next spring. I just mowed it each week for 2 years before I didn't see anymore signs of it.
  7. jlhuber

jlhuber LawnSite Member

Some replies have indicated that the nuimblewill roots are not deep .... this led me to do some research. I read that nimblewill does not put out runners across the top of the ground. I think I have mistaken this weed for this reason and because the roots on my weed are nastier than what has been described. I am think the weed is creeping bentgrass ----

Can anyone give me some good tips on this weed?

8. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest a pic to make sure were talkin about the right "weed".
  9. v75vette

v75vette LawnSite Member

If it were me i wouldn't till the area. Tilling can actually bring more weed seeds to the top. It's up to you what to do. Just my .02$