1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A word of Caution

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lugnut, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think the stuff in the toolbox on your truck is completely safe even if its locked up, someone got into mine last night by picking the lock, and when I was talking to the cops they told me those factory locks can be picked in about 30 seconds. If you're keeping anything real expensive in yours you might want to add a latch and padlock too for some extra protection. And btw, in case anyone is wondering I've got a Craftsman box which is made by Delta so its not a cheap one thats easier to get into than most
  2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

And add to that this is the time of year for thefts.
  3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that man, maybe santa will bring you a whole new set
  4. tras

tras LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that, that definately sucks. Hopefully no one gets into my weatherguard.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That sucks. Get the big lock but remember if someone wants something they will get it. There are bolt cutters made that will cut just about any lock you buy.
    The other thing people aren't aware of is how easy it is to get into houses. We get many calls for lockouts at the fire dept. and in 22 years I can only remember 1 that we couldn't get into without breaking glass.
    Go to you tube and look up lock bumping.
    Don't carry what you don't expect to lose. It sucks that we have to deal with scumbags that steal from people who work hard. Good Luck.
  6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Put one of those circle puck locks on it. You'll need to drill those brackets on it, but with the puck lock, the shackle can't be seen=no bolt cutters.
  7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have employees? Was there anything that they took that might be unique to your area? If so keep an eye out and a bat in your truck! I hate theives. Someone that i talk to quite often haD AN EMPLOYEE TAKE ONE OF HIS RED MAX BACK PACKS. He went to one of his employees houses checked the garage, and there it was. No comment as to what happened after that.
  8. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

sorry to here that man. thieves suck. willie
  9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I got off pretty easy, they only took a socket set and an xmas present for my parents I threw in there for "safe keeping" Haha that worked out well. Anyway they only took stuff that was easy to carry, about $200 worth. They left a tray full of miscellaneous hand tools, a bottle jack, chains, straps, and a battery jump pack as well as a welding helmet and some other stuff. I guess they were going for high street value, but I posted this to give everyone a heads up so hopefully this won't happen to anyone else.
  10. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez LawnSite Member

Had a few in my area where the theives take a sawzall and cuts the bolts that hold the toolbox to the bed, and then take the whole box. That suks.