A Yard of Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by 141 woodmann, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 141 woodmann

141 woodmann LawnSite Member

Back in the day, when these garden centers filled my truck, two yards of mulch would just about fill the back of my F-150. Now I can ask for three yards and it's still not filled. Anyone see this trend?

2. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

nope i can ask for 1 yard and it will fill my chevy 2500 maybe it helps to be freinds with the loader operator hahaha but i still dont see 3 yards in an f150 without high sides on it IMHO your getting ripped off

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

At my supplier a yard and half and I'm sitting on the axle.

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. In fact I have trouble after only a metric yard.
    It depends on the weather.

You need to know, I only puchase small loads and only use a trailer now.
    Any-thing over a yard and I have it delivered, or if it's mulch it's blown in.

I went in one time for a half yard of soil and the scoop came off the tractor.
    It landed tines down in my new f-150's box and caused
    three thousand dollars damage!!!

My wholesaler paid for the damage, but what a shocker to watch it happen

5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You need to call out people not giving you what you paid for. Tell them to stop getting over on you.

6. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 LawnSite Member
    from gap,pa

find that 2 yards really has to be packed down in order to fit in an 8 ft bed w/ a toolbox. If your say 3 would fit in yours I would pull around front and get your money back

7. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

no way you are getting 3 into your truck. I can't get 3 in my 5 X 10. If I did I would lose a 3rd of it on the way to the job site. Measure your bed and do the math on how much it should take to fill it up.

8. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Some-one on here said the other day, he found out from the tractor operator at his suppliers yard that the scoop was only 2/3 of a yard.
    He said they just knocked off a bit if he wanted a half yard.

There should be a weights and measurements law like they have for gas pumps and
    companies that manufacture tape measures.

9. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

That would just make it more expensive. The system is fine now. We should all know what a yard of mulch looks like(or there abouts), and I hope we all know that 3 yards are not going into the beds of our trucks.

I got a local supplier to match his bagged mulch to my bulk mulch prices. When we loaded up a yard of bagged mulch I thought I was getting screwed till we emptied the bags. I guess it is more compact in the bag because the yard was plenty.

10. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Pond Springs in CT is very honest. I know the old folks and if you have a huge job they give you a good discount. My truck holds about 2 yards and that's if I jump on the bed and compact it down. Also tipping the guy that drops the Mulch tends to over load his tractor for you. Either a bottle of water or a $2 tip. You may not think that is enough but if 20 guys do it every day he is making $40 in tips daily!