1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A ztr without a demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laborador, Jun 30, 2005.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

How many guys here have bought a ztr without trying it out first and just took it for granted that you were going to like it. It seems like there are so many mowers and not enough time to demo them. I just feel like it is a hassle to set a time with a dealer to demo a machine.
  2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I did. But it was just a larger and more powerful model of a Z I already had. Ran a Grasshopper 618 4 years, bought a 720 without riding it until I put it on the trailer.

But I sure wouldn't do that for a brand I wasn't familiar with, or a different type--for instance I wouldn't have bought a Grasshopper mid-mount based solely on my experience with the front-mount.
  3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my Toro with out demoing it its to much of a hassle to me. Plus i had used on of my friends who has one and i liked his so i didnt demo mine.
  4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I didnt demo the toro i bought its way to much of a hassle i have a friend that has pretty much the same kind exept he has a 25Hp not 27Hp and a 60" deck and i bought the 52" deck.

But i would buy a mower just becouse it has a good reputation if you havent used it.

Whoops didnt mean to post 2 times im not good when it comes to computers.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Some years ago, bought a JD ZTR without a demo. Worst equipment mistake I ever made. Then, I bought a Toro ZTR without a demo. Second worst equipment mistake I ever made. Never bought another mower after those, without first getting a chance to try it out. Sure would have saved a lot of money if I had learned thast lesson sooner.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Before I hand over $$$, I wouldn't buy it. No if's and's or exceptions...

Heck, I hate buying handheld gear without trying it first, there's no way I'd hand over a several thousand only to find that what you bought just doesn't measure up, or worse, is just a piece of junk...
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We bought a Ferris IS 3000 back in the spring without a demo for $10,000. Drove the machine around the dealers lot for a few minutes and thats it.
  8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't demo mine buts it's a walk behind, it was the first commercial mower I ever had, I drove it around in a circle then I drove the eXmark in a circle. How do you guys go about demoing a mower anyways, just call them and tell them?
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Once across the dealers lot at 15 mph on my Hustler Super Z was all I needed to know!!!!
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a lazer Z because j-thomas has all the parts I would need for it. And dealers are not good at having parts or fixing things.